Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

More tail than I ever got before

I put the word out last month to some of my small game hunting friends that I would be interested in any squirrel tails from the squirrels thay shot this season

well today one of my friends from work brought me in his tails from his trip up north 22 Black squirrel tails and 14 Greys

I had 12 Greys I got from smallie earlier this month and the Fox Squirrel tails about 8 that I had already.

Yes I'm really getting the tail now.

Now who wants some of this tail?

OSD.

are you going to dry them out so that they are stiff like in the fly shop? OR will they still wiggle when we get em? I could use a black one, but don't necessarily want to dry it myself. To tell the truth, freshly harvested squirrel tails are the one fly tying material that really gives me the creeps. Pick it up and it flops around sick.gif

John

Welll the only thing i have done to them so far is make sure all the meat was off at the base of the tail, and wash all the blood off with my dogs flee and tick shampoo

so how do you stiffen them up? Hang them in the shed for the winter? I have tried for the longest time for a black squirrel skin (tanned). For making fox squirrel nymphs.

john

bugeyes.gif Are those on the kitchen table?!?!?! I know if it was my mom, and I had 20 squirrel tails on her table, she`d shoot me!-redneck

Im just going to put some powdered Alum in the base hole to dry it, and hang them in my shed with a little flee powder on um and thay should be good in a couple weeks.

OSD.

Red

thats the benifits of being the master of your own home

My wife is luck they were just tails or she would be cooking up me some stew

Yum yum

OSD, so in a few weeks they will be stiff? IS the proper term for this cured , and not stiff?

Anyway. Could I snag a black one?

John

Yes cured ready to use what ever you want to call it.

I have done it a few time with no problems they won't stink up the place.

OSD.

Red

If you want to make the Old Lady really mad take the hair trimmers out to shave some dubbing off a muskrat pelt (that will do it believe me) LOL.

OSD.

Just give me a couple weeks for these tails to cure and send me a money for postage and you can have all tail you need.

I can't ecept any more fly tying materal (you wouldn't believe me if I told you)

OSD.

Hey, I wouldn`t mind one, but maybe I could send you some duck feathers or something. Or maybe even deer hair if you`re runnin low. We will have PLENTY of duck feathers come Christmas. I was talkin to this guy last night, and he showed me this site will pay lik 40.00 per pound of feathers I think, I know thats a whole lot of feathers, but I think you can get a few pounds of feathers from 500 ducks. Well maybe we can work somethin out. tight line and good tyin!-redneck

OldSteelDude - What's the exchange rate for a couple each - just postage???

Ridder - regarding pheasant - same question except I'd guess you need something for a swap; gimme an idea what a good swap item would be???

Thanks to both.