Fly Tying

If you remember a few weeks back, I went fishing the San Juan River with Fresh Salt Fishing, and we had a great time! We caught many Brown Trout, and one was really really large! They came back to fish with me, and we decided to hit up the Animas River. We had a float trip scheduled for the next day, however we had some time this day to wade the river.

Fishing the Animas can be tough. Its not one of those rivers that many people can go out and guaranty a boat load of fish. But when you catch one, usually its a very good sized fish. Mostly browns live in this river, and they are wild. They pull hard, and make you fight for every inch of line.
Keep in mind this river is very slippery, so if you come out, make sure and bring some wading boots with studs in them.

I have not been down that way since High School...I envy you...specially for getting to video it and make it permanent. Thank-you for the memories.

Nice vid Shawn. I was starting to wonder were you have been lately. Have you been Mia or did I just miss seeing you post lately?

I have been posting, however we just had a kid, so I haven't gone for a few weeks.

I have not been down that way since High School...I envy you...specially for getting to video it and make it permanent. Thank-you for the memories.

Glad you liked it DrVette.

I'm amazed that anything can live in the Animas river after the horrendous toxic spill from a mine in Southern Colorado back in 2015 or so. At least the water is no longer orange in color.

Evidently the flows were strong enough and the spill short enough to not really affect the river very badly Not that I'd eat much less keep anything from there. I fished it last August, wade and float, the fishing was quite good.

Evidently the flows were strong enough and the spill short enough to not really affect the river very badly Not that I'd eat much less keep anything from there. I fished it last August, wade and float, the fishing was quite good.

That is good news indeed. Can you tell me exactly where you were fishing. If my memory serves me correctly, the Animas runs through Cedar Hill which is north of Aztec. I used to work at the refinery in Bloomfield way back when and I remember an old trestle bridge around CH that I used to take pictures under.

I'm heading up that way in a few weeks and I'd like to look around up there.

Thanks.