Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
PWB

Some Baitfish

Where's the hook? Sort of joking, but not. That's a lot of hair ... and I think you're going to miss a few hook sets since it will cover the hook too much in a fish's mouth.

They look good, but might be a bit too full.

Nice ties. I like the color combinations. You can do some interesting things with Lazer Dub. I'm not sure there's too much material, since they look like shad/peanut bunker patterns. The hook seems to be the issue. You don't want to use a long shank hook with a standard gape. I use the SC15 or similar style hooks for my bait fish patterns. These aren't the best pictures but they're wide body patterns tied with Lazer Dub.

post-309-0-76718900-1422381313_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-89717000-1422381363_thumb.jpg

Experiment with how you tie the material in, and try different hook styles

That's a good question. I know they're Gamakatsu. I decided to google them to see what they might be. The top one is either a Light Wire Worm Hook or a Drop Shot Hook, Size 2. The bottom one is either a B10S Stinger hook or an SC15 Size 2. They are co-mingled by size in my storage box. The first two are not fly fishing hooks. The second two are. Most of my bait fish patterns are tied to be fished in fresh or salt water. So the hooks are interchangeable. Just a matter of which one I grab.

Nice patterns, Philly, that first pattern would do wonders in some of the rivers and lakes near me, do you have any specifics on materials?

Tim:

The pattern is called the "Hoo Fly" You can google it and should be able to find the proper tying in instructions. The original pattern is V-tied. My tie is a combination of V-tied and high-tied. It's a good pattern for small flies, under 3 inches. The material is Senyo Laser Dubbing. Colors, Orange, yellow, fluorescent green chartreuse, light olive, dark olive, a bit of light blue in the head area. Black permanent marker for the sunfish pattern . The shad/peanut bunker pattern is white, minnow silver, light olive, dark olive with some light pink mixed in along the sides and head area. I've caught large and smallmouth bass, chain pickerel, one small pike and a bunch of snapper blues on them.

Tim:

The pattern is called the "Hoo Fly" You can google it and should be able to find the proper tying in instructions. The original pattern is V-tied. My tie is a combination of V-tied and high-tied. It's a good pattern for small flies, under 3 inches. The material is Senyo Laser Dubbing. Colors, Orange, yellow, fluorescent green chartreuse, light olive, dark olive, a bit of light blue in the head area. Black permanent marker for the sunfish pattern . The shad/peanut bunker pattern is white, minnow silver, light olive, dark olive with some light pink mixed in along the sides and head area. I've caught large and smallmouth bass, chain pickerel, one small pike and a bunch of snapper blues on them.

Thank you for the info, I'll be tying that fly up before spring, it will work well for bass.