Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
crappiekid24

Spool Holder

Got a block of wood and some dowels lying around. You can easily make that into a spool holder.

All I did was measure out the space needed between dowels and then drill holes in those spots then glue the dowel pieces in the holes.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Keep your threads out of sunlight or they will go bad, so will floss. The sun will weaken them and they will collect dust. Let alone what the bugs will do. I keep all my spools in uni boxes, in a closed in shelf to keep them good. I have several moth balls all over the place and regularly spray raid in and around my things before I go to work every 3 months , more in the summer. What you just made is great but what you should do is, and it may take a while determine what are your favourite most used threads for fishing flies. Is buy some cheap bobbins and keep them loaded. I keep two bobbins loaded with what ever thread I am going to use, so if it breaks I can just pic up the other bobbin and start tying again. If my bobbins get to wore out I will load them with a spool of wire and that is what the bobbin's use will be from now on. I do have my favourite bobbins, as I said in another post Griffin and I have learned after many many cheap bobbins how to take care of them. My nick name is Joe Hard, because of a lot of reasons but I am just an average Joe that has learned the HARD WAY. You could make anything you want and I am sure you have seen some of those fancy tying desks, keep building what ever suits you. I am always modifying my tying desk. I have been busting a gut trying to make a living so tying has been on hold. i started putting up some shelves and even that got put on hold. I have been sitting here for the last couple days looking at a lot of my tying stuff in a big pile on the floor, thinking shelves would be great but another work surface would be awesome. its amazing how crafts and hobbies keep growing. Today I found a desk top to a computer desk. I am going to expand my desk so that when I am sitting in my chair I dont have to get up so often to look for things. i know eventually it will be like my tying and computer desk is now ...filled with clutter. I hope you can understand what I am getting at and hope you keep tying up a storm

Sign in to follow this