Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Nice use of magpie nut hair dubbing & baby emu hackle! Cheat the next customer & by a MP whip finisher for X-mas!:-)

Such a Dag ...lol

Retro, I used to tie something very similar to that and found in our local waters that the fly was more effective without the grizzly hackle. I really wanted to make that work because "I" liked the look of the fly but the fish said otherwise LOL ! If there is a situation where they want the hackle then almost always, in that case, a Griffiths Gnat works better. I don't use CDC for the emerger but white antron ( it has it's own sheen that our fish seem to respond to), very sparse and leave a tag or tuft of it up at the front that comes out from under the dubbing ( also very sparse, black rabbit this time of year) . That tag I imagine as sprouting wings. Just saying, I know we live in different parts of the world though, size 20 is good here, even 18 for the emerger . Size 22 would be doable for on top, actually depending on the water fished, 18-24.

Nice video, good job and don't take my comments as a negative, just reflecting local conditions ! I'm always interested in midge patterns of all sorts.

Thanks Dave G I appreciate that you took time to watch the video ......I value all comments given... Retro

Retro, I used to tie something very similar to that and found in our local waters that the fly was more effective without the grizzly hackle. I really wanted to make that work because "I" liked the look of the fly but the fish said otherwise LOL ! If there is a situation where they want the hackle then almost always, in that case, a Griffiths Gnat works better. I don't use CDC for the emerger but white antron ( it has it's own sheen that our fish seem to respond to), very sparse and leave a tag or tuft of it up at the front that comes out from under the dubbing ( also very sparse, black rabbit this time of year) . That tag I imagine as sprouting wings. Just saying, I know we live in different parts of the world though, size 20 is good here, even 18 for the emerger . Size 22 would be doable for on top, actually depending on the water fished, 18-24.

Nice video, good job and don't take my comments as a negative, just reflecting local conditions ! I'm always interested in midge patterns of all sorts.

Yeah, antron or zelon makes tying this really quick and makes the fly durable. Easy to clean and dry after a fish.

Yeah, antron or zelon makes tying this really quick and makes the fly durable. Easy to clean and dry after a fish.

I'll try it with those materials ......thanks for the heads up.