Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
onebadmofo

New St Croix switch rod

I just received a new St Croix Imperial switch rod. 11 foot 6 weight. Got it early for Christmas and will be going out tomorrow, Sunday, to give it a try. I have been trying to teach my self to Spey cast for about a year and a half now with a single hand rod and have been doing alright. We'll see how I do with the actual rod for this type of casting. I already have the reel and line which I have been using. Hope to learn this style of casting really good as I have been watching it for quite a while now. If I don't catch any fish I will still be satisfied as I have the right equipment now.rockon.gif

Just for the record and trying not to be picky, single-hand rod speying is not necessarily a wrong start. It is a viable system within itself that,with proficiency, does a multitude of fishing tasks very well and even has applications in which the longer rods may not work as efficiently.

True, going to a longer switch rod opens the door to the use of longer, heavirer, sink tips and to different lines that will work better than many of the lines and tips used in single hand rods. It is just a different game with different characteristics.

Once the swing rod is mastered, you may even want to try the long spey rods --14 -15 '- ers -- which are yet another new game entirely.

Rocco

Yeah, I wasn't expecting this rod, but now that the warden bought for me I really want to learn this. I plan to move up to a longer rod when I have become proficient with this one. which will probably not be for a few years. I just have been so interested in this style of casting and am looking to learn it as well as I can. I will never give up my one hand rods though.

Two hand casting is very addictive. I started it myself this past spring when I built a pair of 12ft 5/6wt spey trout rods for myself & fishing buddy, now I', fully hooked. Probably used it 75% of time this past year.

steeldrifter, I couldn't agree with you more. I fished this rod for a few hours yesterday (Sunday) and am hooked. I have found a few sites on the internet where some say to upline the rod by one or two line weights. I am going to try this, my boss has both 7 and 8 weights and said he would give me a line of both sizes to try. If I like it, I will definitely go to a heavier line. Now I have to find the reel.

Thanks

Mike