Fly Tying

You shouldn't have deleted it. I am not one who has extra stuff to give away, but you might have found someone.

You are probably right mike, but I really didn't want to start an argument about the new generation and how spoiled we are and blah blah blah, I'm here to learn and acquire knowledge not argue about stuff like that

And Newtyer1,if your ever in Miami , pm me and I'll give you an ***whoop and I'll make sure you return everything you stole to all the victims in person. Then issue a public statement to a group of Veterans telling them how you disrespected them by using a "service record". Man I wish you lived in Florida, I would travel just to make your ugly face more blue and black and put you through hell. Anyday, anywhere, anytime.

People like that don't deserve to be on The Lord's great Creation.

A while back there was a youngster in here that wanted to get into fly tying. He posted some of his first flies, and I must say they sucked. LOL.. as did mine when I first started. I remember him being attacked over posting pictures of flies he didn't tie. He was just a kid trying to impress us and fit in was all. Basically he got bullied from this site for lying. I know the pic thing was a little problem, but so what, he was just a stupid kid, not an adult trying to scam people. I contacted this kid, gave him an old vise and a bunch of surplus fly tying materials and an old book or two. He ended up making his own little web site and started selling flies he is tying. You could tell he was proud of himself. I THINK THAT"S AWESOME!!! I feel GREAT for helping this kid! He sent me a killer letter of thanks too. Too bad morons have to screw it up for others, like this "Newtyer1" guy. HELPING PEOPLE IS AWESOME!!! Please always remember that, ok guys. SO, if you want some pheasant tail, some chenille, turkey tail, and some other stuff, I got some I'll send ya. Personal message me your address. OK? Just remember to say thank you. That's all I expect.

Well I've donated a renzetti traveler vise to a newbie and that was the last we've seen of him

I've donated a lot of yarn to tie killer bugs

I also donated a substantial box of material to a kid through a member here and have yet to see a fly he has tied

I will no longer donate to folks who become argumentative when you make an effort to help them out. Sorry the giving tree has given enough

Well I've donated a renzetti traveler vise to a newbie and that was the last we've seen of him

I've donated a lot of yarn to tie killer bugs

I also donated a substantial box of material to a kid through a member here and have yet to see a fly he has tied

I will no longer donate to folks who become argumentative when you make an effort to help them out. Sorry the giving tree has given enough

I'm really sorry to hear that. your comment " become argumentative" has me curious. Did I miss something? Please fill me in.

I've said all I'm going to say. It happened a while ago. What happens in a private message stays in a private message :)

It doesn't concern anything that you have said

A friend of mine is a vet and also a exotic bird rescuer. She gave me some sheds from one of those blue cage birds, I don't remember the particular breed. Anyway, I have no use for blue feathers, but I mentioned them on a fly fishing website. A guy who ties salmon flies (I guess) jumped on my free offer of matched feathers. I sent them to him with a promise of a couple of flies for display.

Not even a thank you. Some people.....

Color me extra cautious. To any of you guys that want to do a good deed involving children; make sure you have permission from a parent and that they know you are sending something. If you do send a package then address to an adult. These are crazy times.

I traded a vise for some turkey for a young guy on this site and he is still with us and is a great member of board. I sent some old vises and bunch of other goodies to a guy started a youth tie group. I've sent a couple of bamboo rods to veteran's groups. I try to never miss a benefit tying request. It's all good and maybe the karma I extend will continue on after I'm gone.

Maybe this karma has already paid me back. I had dealings with Scott Martin who has screwed so many people on different boards from the sound of it. I bought an Indonesian quad bamboo rod and nice discontinued reel from him and actually got it. I did have to badger him and took much longer than it should and beginning to think I was about to become another victim when they showed up and I got a hell of a deal. Before that I'd sent him several flies in a nice fly box from reading one of his sob stories and PM'ing with him. Maybe that's why he decided not to screw me over.

Started tying when I was 6. Got a vice, some hooks, and very limited supplies. Was fortunate my mom knitted, so lots of yarn, and my dad bird hunted so lots of duck, goose and pheasant feathers. I think over the first few years I tied over 100 spratleys, 100 careys and carey specials, and 100 black gnats. Cause thats what I had materials for. And over that few years I was trying to perfect my technique, trying to make each fly look better than the one before. I think too many new tyers get caught up in the vast amount of materials available these days My advice use the materials you have and develop your proportions and technique. The new materials will come with time. And I'm still using some of those spratleys and careys tied in those early days after 50 years.