Fly Tying
TitanFlies

Dai Riki Hooks

Does anyone regularly tie with these? They're a lot cheaper than Tiemcos in the long run but I'm worried I'll be sacrificing quality. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. You sacrifice a lot in quality honestly. I used to tie with them almost exclusively, but then I just got sick of dealing with dull points, hook defects (such as bent hooks, jacked up eyes, etc), and I really hate the super bright color, and also had way way way to many break on me. Honestly, when you figure out price per hook any of the high quality hooks are not that bad. I like TMC a lot, but have found myself using mustad a lot more often now.

Some people swear by them but I had bad experiences with them. I found them to be brittle and they hold a point.

Bruce

Wow, almost unanimous in the "bad" column. Maybe I can give Mustad a try but all the models are so f$%^ing confusing. Which ones do you use? I've only had experience with R74 and the R50 in the 25 pak box (which are really unqiue!).

Confusing, I would say so. I have forever used Mustad 94840, 9671, 9672, 3399 as my most popular hooks. Now I read that they will be discontinued. I have tried Tiemco and like them, so I will have to get used to their numbering system.

They are the easiest to find in 24, 26 and 28. Good Luck with what ever hooks you decide on.

I've used some of their nymph & streamer hooks, and stainless saltwater hooks quite a bit, and have not had any major problems with them. I've also had a few eyes not closed completely, and an occasional bent hook, but not a big deal to me. I haven't had any issues with dull hooks or broken hooks. Compared to the older Mustad's they're a lot better. Compared to Tiemco, for the price difference, I think they're a fine hook.

Comparing Tiemco to the Mustad Signature hooks, again for the price difference, I would use the Mustad's. :)

I have used these hooks and have not experienced any problems.

I recently purchased 50 dairriki #22 scud hooks for tying glo bugs.I've tyed over 2 dozen glo bugs on them and have no complaints.

shane

Well, I followed Tide's advice and ordered some Mustad Signatures: R30, R50, R70, and R90 in sizes 14 and 16. I'll note to write a review on the hook finish, integrity, sharpness, hook eye, and barb on all the models. Hell, I'll even tell you how I like the new little box they come in.

I guess I`m in the minority also. I`ve had zero problems with them. I just started using them last July so has there been a change in the hooks? For those that have had issues , when were they purchased?

I've had exactly two problems with Dai Riki hooks. One had no eye at all and the other looked like it went through a press with another hook on top of it. For half the price of the Tiemcos, in a real 'box', I think they're a steal. I do like the little Tiemco magnet, though...

I like the magnet too...Dai-Riki may be less quality but i like them...just as good as any other hook, Although mustad is my favorite!

Literally thousands of flies tied on them.

In all that time, one closed eye and one broken shank.

Have brought in huge bluegill and 4 pound bass on nothing bigger than an 8.

I recommend them highly.

BUT

I only use them for size 14 and larger.

I particularly like the 135 scud hooks 710 streamer and 730 nymph.

Best prices are at bluequillangler.com