Fly Tying
greifs

Travel pack...

I'm putting together a little travel pack, actually my first one. I was lucky enough to find a Targus computer case that wears like a back pack. $6.

I got 5 star binder insert for a three ring binder, plastic cloth mesh type, for different packages of materials. I bought the 3x4 inch plastic ziplocks at micheals. Now I'm terrible at putting things away in the right place and all my stuff ends up in a pile, but I think I may have made it a little easier. I took the (4) of the ziplock bags and heat sealed them together at the bottoms using my foodsaver. Straight line across the bottom. The I also sealed the corners agains at about a 30 degree angle to the first seal. Now I have groups of bags that can get put into a pile :wallbash: but now when I find my olive maribou, I've also found my brown, black, and white maribou. This kit is coming together rather nicely. when I'm done, I'll have to plan a little overnight trip fishing to see how it works.

I also purchased the baseball card protective sheets for 3 ring binders. I 'm going to put chenilles and yarns in those. Right now I have my dubbing in bags, so I may need to make a dispenser.

also, any lessons learned on putting a travel kit together?

Keep it organized and each material goes into its own small ziplock bag before going into the bigger bags.

I use a plastic toolbox for my stuff. It works nicely but mine is too big I think. I am thinking of getting a smaller one for traveling or for going to classes because I don't need to bring all my materials everywhere I go.

Why not put your dubbing in the baseball card holders too and see if you can punch a hole in the front of each card slot? You might end up with a nice light dubbing dispenser...

Just thinking out loud,

Hot Tuna

hmmm... where the hell is my hole punch. Sounds like a good idea. Also, I cut stips of the adhesive magnet and am putting the to hold the yarn pockets (and maybe bubbing pockets) (baseball card insert) closed. Works pretty nicely.

man... sometimes I read back over my posts and it looks like a four year old wrote it-"am putting the to hold",, huh?

Edited by greifs

I suggest storing chenille in those little clear flm containers or a small lure box. if you store them under pressure they will go flat and be of little use to you (although you can refreash them with hot water or steam).

I really like your ideas for dubbing and using the foodsaver bags on maribou containers!

If you purchase hooks from mustad, the small container the hooks come in is great for storing dubbing. Just punch a small hole in the top and you're all set.

These all sound like good ideas, I too have been thinking about putting a travel kit togeather.