Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Camp'n'fish

GSP advice

I'm buying GSP for the first time, but I was wondering what denier to get. I've tried what I believe was 100 denier before, and I couldn't break it. So why buy 150 or 200 denier, other than for the minimal thread buildup? Is it just for the bulk? I'll be using this for larger streamers.

I only user gsp when I'm spinning or stacking deer hair the larger diameter thread helps to prevent cutting the hair when you pull it tight to flair it. I personally don't like using gsp for anything else.

I totally concur with vicente. Gel Spun doesn't seem suitable for streamers in that there are several better choices. Gel Spun is ideal for stacking deer hair. If you are talking saltwater size 1/0 - 4/0 then Danville flat waxed nylon is or was a popular choice when I was cranking them out. There are more choices with all the designer threads available today. There must be an online thread chart someplace.

Have to disagree with a few of the previous posts. GSP is quite common for large streamers, due to enhanced durability and the fact that stacking deer and such is not uncommon on those patterns. Probably not the first to do so, but Kelly Galloup switched over to GSP for his streamers at some point and has been touting its virtues since in videos and articles (cf. Galloup's youtube channel). GSP is available in everything from 50 to 200 denier, and I typically use the lightest I can, just like normal thread. Heck, when Moser came out with Powersilk, people were arguing that GSP should be used for everything...that is until they realized the downsides. In general I much prefer to use Danville Flymaster+ or 210 denier over GSP, but there are times when I'll resort to GSP in some istances. The heavier stuff (>100 denier) is used mostly for more demanding situations, such as musky flies or saltwater where durability becomes that much more important because the target species are much harder on flies.

I have been using a spool of GSP100 that I bought to try. I could tie most everything with it, with the exception of foam, which it cuts like a hot knife would, and the very small stuff, of course.

The one thing I did not like at first was that the spool came off the bobbin if I really cranked down on it, but that is just a matter of holding the bobbin differently.

GSP for deer hair, zero stretch, no looking back. That is really all I use it for. 100d for muddler minnow heads and the like... heavier for deer hair. As with any other material, it has it's place, and it is not the answer to every problem. Use it, figure it out for yourself, and go with what you find. Just because some big name says you "should" use it, doesn't mean you will find your answer there.

Powershooter gave me a spool of it. Works as advertised, but also slips as advertised.

Bo gave it to me when we were doing "welded flies" a month or so ago. I tried doing some deer hair, and I have the same problem as always: When I cinch down to flair the hair, the whole thing spins on the hook. My perfectly formed muddler body is now a spiral mess.

I know it's something I'm not doing right ... but damned if I know what that is.

Mike, try lightly pinching/holding the body in place when you tighten it down, the gsp will snug down around it nicely. Once pretty snug you can take your fingers off.

I usually start by wrapping a 1/4 inch back and forth . Nice 'n' tight and nothing spins for me . See photo . If in doubt , use a very small amount of super glue first . I use GSP for everything now especially small flies that I use the split thread technique on .

post-60201-0-13245600-1521323374_thumb.jpg