Fly Tying
spulve

Opinion on a baitfish pattern (saltwater)

staring at the vice with frustration, not sure if the patterns that i am tying look good or not. Playing around with EP anadromous brush. being that it is an ep brush, would I trim that like i would regular ep fibers?? I also find that the belly segment of the brush gets fouled around the hook bend sometimes,would i cut it right before it reaches the bend? 7. Opinions and insight? post-59237-0-91704500-1465369040_thumb.jpg

Well you could trim some of that away kind of tapered, then you also could tie in a throat to the bend of the hook or there abouts ( some of mine don't even make it to the bend of the hook but that is a fairly short hook you have there) which adds contrast and maintains balance and traps other fibers that do extend past the hook.. The fibers should blend fine. Try it , see if you like it, the worst that can happen is you waste a few fibers ( don't whip finish till you think you like it). I usually use reds, orange or yellow for throat colors. One thing about EP is it stacks and layers well.

Im thinking its a bit heavy on fibers, I come from the school "less is more" I'd also recommend putting a taper and a darker fiber on the top for effect. but thats my opinion.