Fly Tying
Brodrash

Badger hair uses

So a few weeks ago my family and I were tearing around the beautiful Utah west dessert, on four wheelers, motorbikes, side by sides, etc. Long story short, my father-in-law clipped a badger in his Polaris razor at about 65 mph. Sick of eating his dust anyways, I stopped, picked him up, and skinned him the next day.

So my question is what are some patterns I can use his fur for. I know the hair is hollow if that helps any. Please, don't let his sacrifice be in vain :)

Anything really

Any pattern that calls for bucktail, numerous streamer patterens ect

Take a beard trimmer and shave his belly and use it for dubbing in 100 different kind of patterens

I love badger hair, makes great wings and collars for streamers. it also makes for nice tailing on streamers, especially with the black tips on the guard hairs.

Badger clousers and half n' half's with any choice of tailing material makes a great fly.

post-18514-0-82970500-1469739222_thumb.jpg

Heavy nets I came across that use for them on the internet that's how I learned they were hollow quite unusual.

Thurst, the law states they can be taken without a permit, or license as long as its parts aren't sold. Also to clear things up the badger was accidentally killed and I didn't want him to go to waste. If it was up to me I would have let him go about his way, but like most of his kind he didn't give a shit weather it was a side by side or a mac truck he wasn't moving.

Thurst, the law states they can be taken without a permit, or license as long as its parts aren't sold. Also to clear things up the badger was accidentally killed and I didn't want him to go to waste. If it was up to me I would have let him go about his way, but like most of his kind he didn't give a shit weather it was a side by side or a mac truck he wasn't moving.

I understand your not wanting it to go to waste but if a CO had stopped you my guess is you would have been given a summons.

R657-11-21. Depredation by Badger, Weasel, and Spotted Skunk.

(1) Badger, weasel, and spotted skunk may be taken anytime without a license when creating a nuisance or causing damage, provided the animal or its parts are not sold or traded.

(2) Red fox and striped skunk may be taken any time without a license.

The guard hairs can be used as you would squirrel tail, just a little different coloration. The under fur can be used as a light colored dubbing. It can also be used as a tail on small buggers or wings on small wets. It's soft and has a lot of movement in the water.

Fin-ite 34 that is true I also failed to mention he was on my wife's families farm so the case could be made he was a nuisance. I know they are mostly scavengers but their dens can lead to roads washing out and that can cause all sorts of trouble. smile.png

I just didn't want anybody to get the wrong idea. I've been in quite a few states where the CO's take their job very seriously.

God luck with the skin, I hope you can make good use of it.

The legalities aside, badger hair works well for small jigs or "bonefish" type patterns. When I tied commercially I bought a big bag of tanned scraps & found it to be an excellent substitute for calftail hair on bonefish or redfish patterns. It dyes very easily too. One of my favorite materials to tie with. smile.png

BTW, I removed the guard hairs & most of the underfur, leaving the finer hair. I also found that it's naturally white, tan or cream, all of which made some nice looking flies. wink.png

Tidewater, it is a fun material and it is good to hear that its easy to dye I was thinking about dyeing some later this week. Now if I could find some bonefish in So. Utah I'd be in business. Lol