Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

The Unsung Bug Swap

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#31 pica

pica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:14 PM

Flies are done and going out next week,  size 14 spruce moth, perfect for late summer in the mountains.  I deleted the antennae on the original pattern as they don't seem to make any difference, and are a pita to tie. 

Thread: Veevus 12/0 gray  

Hook: Mustad R50-94840 #14

Wing: 2 grey speckled chickabou neck feathers glued back to back

Underbody: grey craft foam to form a tapered body

Body:  adams grey superfine dubbing mixed with scud pink sparkle dub(2:1) over-wrapped with Midge larva lace (shrimp)

Legs dark dun CDC

Thorax/head  same dubbing as body

IMG_0012.JPG

#32 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:02 PM

Looks great Pica--I will keep an eye out for your flies and will update this thread, first post, when they arrive.

Bryon

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#33 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 13 July 2015 - 09:43 PM

Received a beautiful set of Black Laced McGintys from FishingBobNelson today!

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#34 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

mine are done.

Caterpillars%202_zpsvgrq8wtl.jpg

i toe tagged them. now i just have to send them to the correct swapmeister :)

( i messed up on another swap by sending the wrong flies) :)

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#35 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

Thanks Flytire, I will watch for your flies and update this thread when they arrive.

#36 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,629 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 03:09 PM

they should be there by monday according to the postmaster

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#37 joseph russell

joseph russell

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 17 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

Finished mine set should get them out monday

#38 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 19 July 2015 - 11:38 AM

Finished mine set should get them out monday

Cool Joseph, I will watch for them and update the thread when they arrive.

#39 ihang10

ihang10

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 507 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 10:02 AM

Stage 1 prototype.

I have some India feathers to put on as a shell and segment the body, tune up the antennae and tail a little and I think this dog might hunt.

AEBF44DD-B1D5-42F6-80B2-76F37D2453D7_zps

#40 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:15 AM

Flytire, your caterpillars have arrived. Very nice ties! Thanks for the extras. :)

#41 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 11:48 AM

Vicrider, your flies arrived yesterday. Those moths are awesome! I like the "bonus" fly, too. You guys are going to love these.

#42 pica

pica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 04:10 PM

Finally got them in the mail today, should be there in about 3 days.

Thanks for hosting Bryon. 

#43 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

Thanks Pica, I will watch for them and up date the thread when they get here. This is shaping up to be a really nice set of flies. :)

#44 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:41 AM

Pica, your Spruce Moths arrived yesterday. They are really nice!

#45 pica

pica

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 11:54 PM

Glad they made it, I am excited to see what the other folks have come up with.