Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Sept. is Streamer Month...

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:10 PM

This month is streamer month. Any streamers would work for this whether for 'gills, brookies, or sailfish. I've done Royal Coachmen streamers in two swaps of late so I need some variety too but haven't made my mind up yet. If anyone has a choice they want to lock in just post and I'll list it. 

Vicrider..................ready

1. Add147..............received

2. Joseph Russell..received

3. Jolly Red............received

4. J-Kno.................received

5. Crackleback.......received

6. Michael Ray.......received

7 .Breambuster......received

8. djtrout................received

9. Netabrookie.......received 

10. border collies...received

11. kennebec12.....received

12. Bambudday.....?

#2 michaelray

michaelray

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:41 PM

I'll get something figured out this week.... 

Instagram: @oakmanorflyfishing, @mountainbayou

http://www.mountainbayou.com

#3 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:11 PM

Netabrookie, your streamers came in and a beautiful job as always. We get a bonus on this one from Tony.

#4 netabrookie

netabrookie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 06:09 PM

Glad they made it and thanks for calling them beauties.

.....You can never have too many olive woolly buggers.........

.... IF AT FIRST YOU DON'T SUCCEED..........RELOAD......

#5 kennebec12

kennebec12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 September 2015 - 09:27 PM

After I finally changed gears from the tiny hooks I think I have a good looking set ready to go out this week. I have a black/olive/yellow bucktail and since I haven't been able to get out on the water much recently I also tied up some always handy to have buggers.

#6 Jolly Red

Jolly Red

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 08:31 PM

Got my streamers in the mail today. 

#7 breambuster

breambuster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 10:23 AM

I'm going to be experimenting with a fly that will be based on a Crappie Jig I have tied many times in the past. Only thing is, I'm going to use a regular streamer hook, weight it will a bit of lead wire and tie on the rest of the materials. Rather than having a jig head, it will have the typical thread wraps and head cement. It's really a simple pattern, but I'd love for you guys to give it a try and let me know if you have any luck with it. I've caught crappie on the jig, but never tried it as a regular fly fishing fly. So let me know how it works.

BB

Remember the 3 "R"s. Respect for self, Respect for others, and Responsibility for all your actions.

#8 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

Personally BB, I will try my best to put your fly to the test. In the years I did a huge amount of fly fishing for crappies (younger) I always believed a level retrieve at the right level was important for crappies, especially if they were not active. A jigging motion type retrieve works for a lot of fish but was never the best for crappies for me. I used to fish a lot of tobacco cabbage in northern WI, which was a big leafed plant growing up but leaving a few feet of water between tops and surface. A streamer crawled over tops of cabbage would bring up crappie for me on a regular basis. Very few weeds in our local reservoirs but they build lots of brush piles to fish.

#9 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:16 PM

Bonuses galore this month. Jolly Red came thru with one of my favorites, a mini streamer, with a bonus too.  I I read Kennebec right he's got a double on the. Netabrookie has two streamers in his package. I guess I may have to do a second small streamer since I just finished up with a larger streamer for browns, steelhead, or bass. 

#10 J-Kno

J-Kno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 21 September 2015 - 02:00 PM

Platte River Special goes in the mail today.

#11 Crackleback

Crackleback

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

The flies are in the mail today for this swap and the herl/floss one.  Also, your smallmouth swap flies can see now.

-Mike

#12 J-Kno

J-Kno

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

Hey vicrider,

This word "bonus" you speak of... is it a contraction? If it is, it should should have an apostrophe ya? My company always spells is as two words... as in "bone us"...

#13 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 01:43 PM

I think the way your company treats you guys is different than the good people of fly swaps treat each other. Sounds like your company treats you like they'd treat a sharp pointed metal object with a raised helical thread spiraling it. In our case the bonuses are a correct plural of the term bonus.

#14 djtrout

djtrout

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 07:25 PM

Muddlers in the mail.

All types of fishing challenge, inspire, and energize me; but a day of solitude on a brook trout stream reconciles me with the world.

#15 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:35 PM

The flies are in the mail today for this swap and the herl/floss one.  Also, your smallmouth swap flies can see now.

-Mike

Thanx Mike. Had to think a minute about the "flies an see now". Then it dawned on me. They have eyes now. Look better that way don't they.