Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

traveling to new destinations

246 replies to this topic

#226 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 02:11 PM

NO!  Even when I am at your place in February ... I don't want to spend a second <ugh, yuck, blech> ice fishing.

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#227 Peartree

Peartree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:55 PM

No ice fishing anywhere close to here. We've been bouncing from high 20's to mid 60's the last couple weeks.

#228 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,330 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:09 PM

NO!  Even when I am at your place in February ... I don't want to spend a second <ugh, yuck, blech> ice fishing.

I'm Ordering some sub zero temps just for you when you are here my Cold weather afficando!

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#229 Peartree

Peartree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 09:57 PM

Well Mike, in true Virginia fashion, it was 60 last Saturday, and today it's in the 20s and we're expecting another big snow storm tomorrow.

#230 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 11:15 PM

Hey Peartree!

I got in last Sunday ... noon ... it was nice, no jacket required.

This evening, I walked across the road to Burger King.  5 minutes in the "outdoors" ... and I was glad for every layer of two jackets and a long sleeved shirt.

I am NOT looking forward to the weather this weekend.  I figure I'll be holed up in my hotel room, trying to new fly tying procedures and materials.

Barbed hooks rule!

#231 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:49 PM

Soooooo ... now I am in Hoffman Estates, IL.  I'll be at Cabela's tomorrow night, doing some fly tying with a great group of guys there.

This weekend, I'll be making the drive to Detroit, to see Steve the rod builder/aquarium builder/Bonsai forester/truck builder/etc.   I sure hope we don't get another arctic blow jo ... or whatever they called that last blast through here.

Barbed hooks rule!

#232 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,330 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:49 PM

I'm not 100% sure yet but we may have to move it to the other weekend you mentioned Mike. We were gonna go upnorth last week for a couple days fishing like I had mentioned, but with that deep freeze we had to set it back, might be headed up this weekend. Won't know till my buddy finds out for sure his work schedule which is Thursday afternoon when he gets it. Although with as many trips as he has wimped out on the past 6 months who knows what excuse he'll come up with this time dry.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#233 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:53 PM

It's a drive over there, or a weekend in the hotel tying up something different (normal Winter stuff) ... or a visit with Richmc.

So, as soon as you know, I'll either be on my way or we'll plan the next one.

Barbed hooks rule!

#234 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,330 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:03 AM

I will tell ya one thing for sure, this weather here is insane! about a 70 degree difference in just a matter of about 5 days. Last week was -15 with -40 windchill, now yesterday & today it was 52f. Now they are saying maybe an ice storm tomorrow night.....ahhhhh Pure Michigan biggrin.png

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#235 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:27 AM

Pure "North", Steve.  Same basic forecast for here, in Illinois, too.  Thursday is calling for a high of 40 degrees ... and a low of 9 degrees.

I hate the cold ... and it keeps smacking me in the face, telling me, "No job is worth this !!!    QUIT, and go home to Florida !!!"

Can't do that ... but I'm tempted.

Barbed hooks rule!

#236 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,330 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:25 AM

"Pure Michigan" is a series of commercials here in Michigan, hence the pure Michigan comment ;)

They have been on tv for some years now and they are narrated by Tim Allen (Michigan native). Always show some nice sunny stream and little town and such. So when the weather is bad here the whole "Pure Michigan" slogan is used a lot in making funny meme and such online :)

This is one of the original ones

Then this is one of the parody ones lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#237 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:01 PM

Ha ha ha ... Great Parody commercial !!!  

OF course, it's coming your way ... we're expecting up to 1/2" of ice on everything before morning.

Yuck !!! 

bitch-and-moan1.jpg

Barbed hooks rule!

#238 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:54 PM

Did you hear whether you're fishing or not, Steve?

Barbed hooks rule!

#239 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,330 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:36 PM

Supposed to but now I'm sick with a sore throat and ear issue today so I may actually cancel on HIM this time lol. I sent ya an email earlier today didn't ya get it? Think it was around 3pm when I sent it or there abouts.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#240 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,510 posts

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:09 PM

I'm having some troubles here, with the hotel's network, too.  Seems the bad wifi in the Richmond hotel wasn't the only problem.  It was definitely A problem, since it affected both of my laptops.  This hotel is only reliable on my company laptop.  And, of course, my company laptop won't let me have AOL.

So, As soon as MY laptop makes a connection, I should be able to see E-mails.

If you're not feeling well, I'm not sure I want to catch it ...

Barbed hooks rule!

Reply to this topic