Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Darwin Award nominee

16 replies to this topic

#1 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 12:28 PM

A tongue in cheek spin off of Mike's I hate people thread. Hey, why are these gates with flashing lights down across the draw bridge?

https://m.youtube.co...odestbranding=1

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 01:41 PM

laugh.png  I watch "fails" videos all the time.  I know some of them are supposed to illicit sympathy ... but I just can't seem to muster up any!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,502 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 02:12 PM

you cant fix stupid

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#4 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 18 July 2018 - 04:15 PM

The fail videos are great. Makes you realise life can get worse. 

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#5 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,943 posts

Posted 19 July 2018 - 12:29 AM

Lmao!We need to keep this thread going!
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#6 redietz

redietz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 465 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 02:41 AM

laugh.png  I watch "fails" videos all the time.  I know some of them are supposed to illicit sympathy ... but I just can't seem to muster up any!

The only way I could have felt the least sympathy was if the rescuers had just grabbed the bike and left.

Bob

#7 onebadmofo

onebadmofo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 29 July 2018 - 11:42 AM

Once an idiot, always an idiot!

#8 essequamvideri

essequamvideri

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 344 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:25 AM

I raised my daughters on these types of videos.  Just to show examples of what not to do.   I've always found it easier to learn from someone else mistakes.

Michael

#9 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:02 AM

Unfortunately a woman in Duluth was literally cut in two on the lift bridge by going around the gate and then panicking. This link describes several injuries and deaths on the lift bridge and the last paragraph is the story of the lady politely termed in the article as "dismembered".

#10 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:03 AM

I don't see any link, vic.

The women in Duluth gets no pity from me.  That's why they call them the Darwin awards.  We are a stronger species when the stupid ones remove themselves from the gene pool.

Barbed hooks rule!

#11 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 10:27 AM

I have made the comment to the Safety Engineers at work, "Sometimes we need to let Darwin do his job". They laugh and say I understand but I'm not allowed.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#12 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

Richmc sent me this link for today's award winner.

Barbed hooks rule!

#13 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,490 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:30 PM

Okay ... no pictures to go with this one, as I was bleeding too profusely to try for photos.

Plans, I had such grand plans.  I got one job done, yesterday.  My vehicle now has a nifty looking rack on top.  I got is all made and ready during the weekend, and got it all mounted on the van yesterday.  Yea !!!  Now I can put my refurbished canoe up there and go try it out !!!

Then I started on my second project of the holiday.  I got a 55 gallon barrel.  We cut the top out of it before I brought it home, and I'm planning on making a burn barrel.  Wife was napping, as I rolled it around the house to the far side so I could beat some holes in it for aeration.  It started rolling towards the house, and I was startled into the realization it was going to make a loud noise.  To keep that from happening, I grabbed for it, and reached into the cut out top.

One sharp edge scalloped out a 1/4" deep hole in my middle finger.  Another sharp edge sliced me deeply on my pointer finger.

I had stuff outside the garage, and couldn't leave it out, so I didn't go to the emergency room.  The sliced finger is super glued shut.  Both fingers seem to be okay with band aid style covers.  But it's my right hand, and I can't do any of the other things I'd planned on doing.  

Maybe not Darwin Award level stupid ... but sure put a damper on the holiday!

Barbed hooks rule!

#14 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,321 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 01:27 PM

Soon as you said metal 55g drum I knew where this was going Mike. Those things can be sharp. Hope you heal up, and hope it wasn't rusted where it cut ya.

Cuts on your dominate hand SUCK. I cut the palm of my right hand open bad about 18 months ago and I dunno know what was worse the deep cut or trying to do everything with my left hand for 2 weeks while the right one healed.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#15 Peartree

Peartree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:56 PM

Better make sure your tetanus shot is up to date Mike. I feel your pain, put a trim nail through my finger at work last week, thankfully not my dominate hand, but still slows down any kind of tying.

Reply to this topic