Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Poly tank pics

8 replies to this topic

#1 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 12:15 PM

Figured it had been a while since I posted any updated pics of the poly tank. Tank is doing really well, I think fat & happy would be a good way to describe everyone in this tank ;) The two 10"-11" Delhezi are just eating machines and bulked up like little sherman tanks and almost always swimming around on the hunt for food. The Senegals are growing really well. The one is about 8" now and the other is around 6". The other I have been growing out is still in the grow out tank (about 5") but will probably be joining this tank in the next few months. The new 10" ornate is doing great. He started eating about the 3rd day in the tank and goes right after pellets and wafers now. Even the little datnoid is starting to grow a tad. He's put on maybe 1/4"-3/8" since I got him about 6 months ago. He hid a lot the first 4 months but now the past couple months he has got over that and is out almost all the time which is nice.

zlvKyF.jpg
 UnioNQ.jpg
 fZ90dE.jpg
 fs8zEK.jpg
 gubS5l.jpg
 CAT94T.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#2 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

The work you did with the structure has really paid off, looks like it's been a tank for years. 

Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#3 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,472 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 05:55 PM

Gorgeous!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#4 denduke

denduke

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 05 August 2018 - 09:14 PM

Always enjoy real plants! Hope one morning one dem thangs done evolved into an amphibian and crawling around on the floor....prehistoric looking critters for shore...Do they gulp air/supplement breathing like gar, grinnel, or tarpon?
If you wanta sing the blues, you gotta pay your dues, and you know it don't come easy...RS
Due to severe budget cuts and economic down turn the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off...

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 09:49 AM

Yep they have a primitive lung so they come to the surface to gulp air about every 20-30 mins or so.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#6 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 08:37 PM

ogljOV.jpg
PDG4EW.jpg
Kj6p85.jpg

picked up a few new ones today. They are young so will stay in the grow out tank for a while till they are big enough to go with my full size adults. one is an albino which I have been wanring for awhile. I also picked up a young Black Ghost Knife while I was there. Had one about 25 yrs ago and have been wanting another so couldn't leave the shop without him.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#7 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:59 PM

Bonsai tree maker, rod maker, TIG welder, and somehow I left out fish tank builder. Sorry about that.

#8 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 07:14 AM

I had aquariums years ago. I also had a Black Ghost Knife. The way it moves was fascinating to me.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 16 September 2018 - 09:42 AM

That's what fascinates me as well. The way that ripple in the fin that goes all the way across the body can change the ripple direction so quickly and make the fish move 180 degrees in and instant is just so cool to me. Just an amazing neat fish to sit and watch.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Reply to this topic