Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Out with the old in with the new

17 replies to this topic

#16 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 11:45 PM

The USGS gauges, tide charts and the wind maps are huge when I go fishing. I will pick what part of the river to fish based on the wind and water flow. We've all had wind make a frustrating fishing trip. I can pick the portion of the river where the wind will be less of a problem. I can also use the wind to offset the current or tide during higher water times and most importantly sometimes it tells me not to even waste my time loading and trailing the boat but to grab the floppy rod and waders and head to a particular creek. For me it's not about being unplugged its about using it to my advantage so my limited time on the water is maximized to its fullest potential. When I'm out I'm still unplugged as much as anybody else, maybe even more, because I can do more in less time leaving me more time to be "unplugged."

Now I'm not a picture taker but it sure is easy to take a picture and have it stored to the cloud automatically. No getting home, hooking the camera to a computer, transferring the pictures and saving them to a hard drive that's prone to failure. The same click of the button that takes the picture also stores the photo in a safe place. Once again a huge time saver. The notion that because you use other things to do something a modern cell phone can do quicker and easier is not my definition of unplugged.

choices are great though. Thankfully we can all be happy with our own choices and I'm just glad to have finally broken the barrier to embracing technological change. I'm actually contemplating repowering my boat from a 93 carbed 2 stroke to some wizbang new motor I won't know how to fix. I am struggling with this decision though.

#17 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,319 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 12:40 AM

I didn't say that I'm unplugged because I use other things like my camera I have to upload when I get home. I'm unplugged because when I am away from my home landline & desktop PC I don't have access to internet, news/media or making phone calls or anything such as that at all. That is unplugged. 

I'm not giving you a hard time for using a smartphone or anything so don't take it that way. Hell even back 18 years ago when I had a cell (Nokia 6100biggrin.png  lol) that was right when texting was just starting, and even with that old cell phone back then I just hated even owning it. I hated that people expected you to always be reachable or connected. That's just not the type of person I am. I am a VERY introverted personality and I'm happiest when I am basically alone, unreachable, and away from "most" technology. That's why you have probably noticed there are times when I am not even on this site for 2-3 days at a time, because sometimes I don't even turn my PC on for a day or two.That's just me though. We all make decisions for ourselves to better our lives and what is a proper decision for one person which betters his life, may be the totally opposite for the next person in bettering their life. Everyone is different so we don't have to agree on things like this because there is no "right or wrong" answer, there's only "right" for each individuals way they enjoy living.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#18 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:58 AM

Please don't take anything I say as argumentative. I'm simply extolling the positives of cell phones and how they have been super benificial to me despite an initial hatred of them. I'm not trying to change anybody's opinion since I'm a huge advocate of doing what pleases oneself. With that said, I can't imagine going back to the old days. Just this morning I whipped into a parking space and paid the parking meter with a press of a button as I walked to my appointment. I can even feed the meter remotely if I'm running behind. I really do love these things.

Reply to this topic