Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

RC Clod Buster project

105 replies to this topic

#16 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 08:36 AM

Yep with clear lexan bodies you paint the inside. It takes some getting use to doing it that way because you start with the darker colors and then go to the lighter ones or else the dark colors bleed through the light. The windows all get masked. Usually when you buy a body they come with a window mask set. I also use to use something called liquid mask which is a brush on product that you trim out with an exacto knife for masking hard to cover areas. I'm thinking I may paint the rear side windows with the paint scheme I plan to do for the whole body and then print out some "Midwest Custom Fly Rods" decals to put on the side windows :)

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#17 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,472 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 12:43 PM

I'm thinking I may paint the rear side windows with the paint scheme I plan to do for the whole body and then print out some "Midwest Custom Fly Rods" decals to put on the side windows smile.png

Oh ... excellent idea !!! 

Maybe put a rack and a couple rods on top!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#18 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 28 September 2018 - 10:42 PM

gdjv3R.jpg
 RM2hCA.jpg
 d3tyz2.jpg

Some more progress tonight. Managed to get the front frame struts bent and in, the cab side bars in, and got the lower part of the frame for the 4-link mounts/batt tray in. Most the the main bars are in now. So now it's mostly just adding some cross bracing between the main rails and such left. Then adding the plates for shocks and 4 links and all that good stuff.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#19 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,472 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 11:26 AM

Are you using a plan, or are you doing all this from past experience?  Quite the structure going on there.

Barbed hooks rule!

#20 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 11:34 AM

Doing it all free hand. Googling real monster truck frame pictures and basing it off that a bit then adding some things on the fly to strengthen it where needed in high stress areas.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#21 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 29 September 2018 - 02:34 PM

Going to be cool. Then it needs a trailer hook and you can pull an RC boat to go with it.........
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

#22 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:01 AM

Well the parts purchasing just keeps on coming. I hope to do some work on again soon but I know I am down to my last rod of the Saftey Silv45 braze rod and still have a good deal more brazing to do so just ordered another pack of that stuff (there goes another $40). Then since I will be putting the axles under it before too long I really would rather do what I want to do to the axles now rather than take them back out and pull them apart down the road. So I just ordered a full set (2 pair) of the Hot Racing all aluminum tubes. And of course with those you have to run their knuckles so I also ordered a full set of the Hot Racing all aluminum knuckles. Now I really don't want to put the crappy bushings into those parts after spending the cash on them so now I'm looking at full bearing sets right now.

You know, I'm starting to remember why I got out of Clods back 15 years ago  :lol:
DYmgYs.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#23 mikechell

mikechell

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,472 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 07:33 AM

So, you already have a "hole-in-water-you-pour-money-into" ... now you also have a "hole-in-the-ground-you-pour-money-into" !!!

Life's good !!!

Barbed hooks rule!

#24 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 06:19 PM

put one of these in your toy truck

Fly tyers sure have a way at making things difficult

#25 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:10 PM

After a long day of work to pay the bills I managed to get done in time to spend a few more hours working on the clod chassis tonight. Was able to get all the rest of the cross braces cut and brazed in now and then sand the whole thing clean. Next step will be fabing the shock mounts and 4-link mounts and brazing those in place. Shocks should be here tomorrow hopefully.
gv7Z1y.jpg
3xWIpW.jpg
k9S2Ev.jpg
iCYe7q.jpg
QIzxHe.jpg
cCvKif.jpg
mHM4DM.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#26 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:52 PM

ZsSa6W.jpg

More parts showed up today. Still waiting on the aluminum knuckles but those should be here in a day or two.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#27 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 07:19 PM

I had no clue building an RC car was this much work. I love the frame building process. Can't wait to see the rolling chassis.

#28 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 09 October 2018 - 09:13 PM

It can be real easy if you just go with all the stock parts. You know me though, I never can do anything "normal" lol

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#29 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,318 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:31 AM

Starting to get caught up on work stuff so was able to spend a little bit of time working on the clod again late tonight. Sometimes I am just amazed at what other people and just have to wonder what the hell they could have been thinking. I bought the set of axles used so wanted to tear them down and inspect them, clean them up/paint, and upgrade the tubes/shafts/knuckle and such. So I tear the front gear case down and am surprised to see that there is not a single speck of lube anywhere in the case. Gears are dry as can be. If that weren't bad enough I tear down the rear case and I find this.......
 A6C337.jpg
 KAJKMx.jpg

Obviously the previous owner didn't know the different between silicon based lube and RTV hi temp silicone gasket maker. I gotta say that was a first for me, never seen that one before lol.  Surprisingly the gears themselves looked to be in pretty good shape somehow. So spent some time cleaning the housing, sanding them, priming and painting then, then clear coating and putting them in the drying cabinet to harden up. Also got the new machined aluminum axles/shafts/knuckles fully built and replaced all the bushings with sealed bearings and ready to go onto the cases once they cure up fully.

hjgTSj.jpg
 sErVo3.jpg

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#30 Piker20

Piker20

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,204 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:02 PM

You're definitely not going to be needing pockets in your shroud Steve. Going to look smart with all that polished aluminium when it's together.
Where will you be running it? At a local club or taking it off and rough roading it?
Matthew 25: 35-36 "Out of every 100 men, 10 shouldnt even be there, 80 are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior and he will bring the others back. "No man ever steps in the same river twice"   Heraclitus, 5 B.C

Based Scottish Highlands. UK

MUSTAD The wise anglers choice.

Reply to this topic