Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Buy your Forever stamps now

12 replies to this topic

#1 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:12 PM

10% hike in postage coming in January. Sure, we don't use a whole lot of stamps anymore with computer pay on most bills today. In fact, we seldom see real money anymore on a day to day basis for many of us. I do send things out here and there though and most business envelopes call for stamp instead of paying postage themselves. So it's not a big deal but we picked up 100 stamps today that should cover us over the next raises by the PO, who do it on a regular basis. I just mailed a bunch of packages around the country today and between them and the stamps we dropped $143.50 at PO. That should help them out of the red. Fortunately most of that was Christmas packages covered by our good members in the swap so it was just stamps that we paid for. 

I told the Post Mistress I was thinking of buying 4 sets of 1000 stamps and putting them in storage to leave for kids. By that time I expect the cost would have doubled and not many investments do that anymore.

#2 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,325 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:26 PM

Postal prices are just ridiculous anymore. And it seems they increase at least once or twice every year. With my rod business I am at the PO at least 2-3 times per week having to fork over more & more cash to them.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#3 Rocco

Rocco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 12:31 AM

Stamps as investments? 

If USPS is still around then!

Their business model; sucks,  Subsidize the heaviest users at a loss, overcharge everyone else at higher annual  rates.   

How long can that work?

Rocco

#4 vicrider

vicrider

Advanced Member

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,683 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 01:12 AM

Steve, I don't do a lot of it but not long ago I was buying and selling some rods looking for just the right ones for the stable. Each time I went to PO to ship a rod the costs went up so I can see how this begins to chip away hard at your business models. I never tried them but would UPS or that other one do any better for you?

Rocco, I know what you mean. Somebody must have once convinced them at the PO that if you give away your product at a loss each time you can make it up in volume. My wife worked for a company that shipped for bottom dollar as a non-profit for public radio until someone took a close look and they were a long way from a non-profit category. They had to start paying the standard rates for companies, which is still a lot cheaper than you or I get. I may be overly optimistic but I believe Social Security and Postal Service will somehow muddle through for many more years. I don't have that many left but there will come a reckoning sometime in the future for government services and when we see many private models doing fine when they take over government operations in prisons, hospitals, schools, even garbage collecting, it's time to look at all government business and study them for privatization.

#5 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 07:11 AM

I would not invest in stamps. They will become a thing of the past before they double in price. The usps will still exist but the stamp as we know it will go the way of the dinosaur.

#6 Peartree

Peartree

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:07 AM

One of my clients is a long time postal carrier and was telling me since they have contracted with Amazon, they have more than doubled deliveries. Maybe at some point, they'll just become the shipping division of Amazon

#7 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,325 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:40 AM

I never tried them but would UPS or that other one do any better for you?

No they are even worse. You wouldn't believe how much UPS wants for shipping things such as rod tubes. On average it is at least double what USPS charges. I can ship a rod from Mi to most places for $15-$19 range. UPS usually wants at least $30 or more. And international is nuts with UPS. You would think UPS would be cheaper for international but they are way out in left field. I shipped a rod to Australia last month USPS and it was about $42 range. I can't remember the exact amount UPS wanted but I know it was well over $125 or more.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#8 Bryon Anderson

Bryon Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,846 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 04:24 PM

I search the sky for the Amazon drones every day. :)

Steve, I know what you mean about UPS. They must have been smokin' the wacky tobacky when they put together their pricing models. Once upon a time a I built a few rods and shipped them around the U.S. myself, and I always stuck with USPS because UPS and FedEx were always double USPS rates, at minimum. I remember I once had to ship a 2-piece rod (5' long tube) to somewhere out west, and you'd have thought I was asking them to ship uranium or something. They wanted like $60. Uh...pass. :)

I hate to say this, being a union man myself, but it probably has something to do with the fact that UPS are Teamsters.

"... trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience." -- John Voelker (aka Robert Traver), Testament of a Fisherman

#9 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,325 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:35 PM

I hate to say this, being a union man myself, but it probably has something to do with the fact that UPS are Teamsters.

Yep I actually worked for UPS myself back in the early 90's and a loader & sorter and I was a Teamster local #243 with them. Even back then the drivers were making $20+ per hour and the double trailer drivers were making $35+ hr, and that was 25 yrs ago. Not to go in a political direction by any means, but that's why I think unions had a good reason to exist back 50 yrs ago, but in today's era all they do is create higher costs for end users IMO.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#10 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 05:45 PM

Actually it's the people who developed the USPS model that were smoking something. The USPS has not made a profit or even covered it's expenses in over a decade. Every year they run deficits in the BILLIONS of dollars. USPS employee costs are also far more then private companies. USPS employees get compensated something like 70% more then their private counterparts. They have an exceptionally powerful union with exceptionally generous pension benefits that include lifetime medical benefits for retirees. The fix is easy but their union is to powerful.

I read a Forbes report which noted that even though they have not been replacing employees for a decade and their numbers are down by 3000000 workers their employee costs continue to grew by the billions. it's easy to run a company when the bottom line does not exist. If any other business ran like the USPS they would be out of business in a month.

#11 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,325 posts

Posted 10 December 2018 - 06:36 PM

You guys ever use DHL at all? I never have but I have wondered how their prices are compared to USPS & UPS/Fed ex.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

#12 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 929 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:54 AM

If have worked in union and non union shops. Steeldrifter, I agree with your assessment.

As far as the USPS, their business model has always been that of a non profit. It is government ran orginazation that is required to cover its cost.

With that being said, I wonder how much longer it will be in existance.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

#13 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 11 December 2018 - 10:03 PM

I have never used DHL. I stick with the USPS because nobody else can charge so little and lose so much.

Reply to this topic