Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Wulff Ambush flylines

4 replies to this topic

#1 bullhead

bullhead

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 04:52 PM

Hi, Anyone use this fly line? Thinking about a line that will work well where I have to do a roll cast for throwing poppers and streamers for small mouth when wading.

#2 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 06:05 PM

I thought those were shooting head lines?

I've used the original Triangle Taper for years to roll cast drys to Clousers, but I don't know  they market those any longer.

#3 bullhead

bullhead

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 02:28 PM

Yes, a shooting line is what I was thinking of so I can reach out and fish water that I cannot wade. I also heard to up the line weight two or three sizes. I use a 7W rod. Is this correct? I hope someone can chime in on this.  Thanks.  

#4 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:40 PM

I mentioned that because I don't associate shooting heads with roll casting, as in your op,.

#5 rstaight

rstaight

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 928 posts

Posted 21 December 2018 - 07:52 PM

I have a 195 grain Wulf Ambush that I roll cast with an intermediate sink tip. I have it on a TFO Drift. I am really pleased with it.

"Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.  Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary." - Patrick F. McManus

Reply to this topic