Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Name that tool

10 replies to this topic

#1 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:21 PM

Okay what is it? This was in a box of tools I purchased at an auction. The box contained your ordinary array of wrenches, screw drivers, pliers and such so nothing that gave me a clue as to what this is.

tool1.jpg
tool2.jpg
tool3.jpg

They look like pliers but have that funny thing between the handles. The metal knob end of the funny thing corkscrews out. The white plastic cap on the other end seemingly does nothing. The handles can be locked together by a spring loaded screw.

Anybody have any clue as to what the purpose of this is? I'm kind of a tool guy but I have never seen one of these before.

#2 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,480 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:40 PM

They're "Safety Wire Pliers".

Designed to twist wire "stays" on bolts and nut in aircraft.  They're used in other industries, too, I think.

http://www.grumpyspe.../spinner5-w.jpg

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#3 tjm

tjm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 982 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:48 PM

that's it, can't recall where I saw one but Mike is right about the use.

#4 zip

zip

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:55 PM

Got a pair in my toolbox.Works especially well for fixing chain link fences.Also my go to tool for making snares for trapping season.
"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."
John Gierach
----------
Sgt.Steve Bell USMC/Ret
Once a Marine,Always a Marine-Semper Fidelis

#5 steeldrifter

steeldrifter

100% Pure Au Sable River Rat

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 16,320 posts

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:06 PM

Mike nailed it. Also used in racing sports as well. Sometimes for the bolts in brake parts and such.

mcfr.jpg
Owner- Steve Clark
Midwestcustomflyrods.com

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doin, than a long life spent in a miserable way- Alan Watts

#6 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 07:07 AM

Thank you!! I've never seen one before and was a bit perplexed.

#7 j8000

j8000

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 03:50 PM

Yup, used that tool many of times.

#8 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 06:05 PM

I've never used one but now that I know what it does I hope to get a chance to use it. Probably not but it's not taking up much room while I wait.

#9 brooknut

brooknut

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:09 PM

Great for making strong forms for pouring cement. A doubled heavy wire is passed through holes on opposite sides of the form, and a nail inserted through the bend. The pliers are locked on the tag ends, and you pull the spiralled handle, which twists the wire tight. After the cement sets, you clip off the wire - in the picture, it appears there was a LOT of wire clipping done. 

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.   Henry David Thoreau

#10 kyblev

kyblev

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 04:13 PM

Safety wire pliers spot on. I used them numerous times wiring nuts on aircraft while in the Air Force.

#11 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 31 January 2019 - 08:59 PM

Nope it looks like it was barely used. There's a machined divot in the cutting blades. Not sure why. I assume it's for crimping.

Reply to this topic