Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

Fly inventory tracking

5 replies to this topic

#1 mrbamboo

mrbamboo

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:12 PM

Being that I have many flies with many almost looking the same, and I can't remember what their names.  What would be recommended to keep track of your flies, i.e. spreadsheet, database, etc..

Also, is there a way to search flies bu body color, ribbing, hackle, etc.. to get their name?

#2 vicente

vicente

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,838 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:53 PM

I probably have a couple hundred least, some of my own, a bunch from swaps i just throw them in a couple tackle boxes and fish through it whenever I'm short on flys.

#3 flytire

flytire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,519 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

Being that I have many flies with many almost looking the same, and I can't remember what their names.  What would be recommended to keep track of your flies, i.e. spreadsheet, database, etc..

Also, is there a way to search flies bu body color, ribbing, hackle, etc.. to get their name?

use whatever software youre comfortable using

we discussed this subject a while back

http://www.flytyingf...showtopic=87795

you cans search google for patterns by material. search "fly patterns using grizzly hackle" and see what comes up

you can also search the fly pattern database here on this forum by material

bz4vSPD.jpg

i do not keep an inventory of every fly in any of my fly boxes. it would be a waste of my time smile.png

Most fishermen use the double haul to throw their casting mistakes further - Lefty Kreh

#4 Poopdeck

Poopdeck

You damn kids, get off my lawn!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:22 PM

I go simple. I have brown, black, cream, and olive in sinking, floating and just under the surface flies. No reason to make it any more difficult then it needs to be.

#5 mikechell

mikechell

Cold weather afficando- Give me Snow or give me death!

• Super Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,509 posts

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

If you want to pare down that mass of flies, there's a couple of members here who are BIG on charity work.

One works with disabled vets.  Another works with a breast cancer survivors group, I think.

They are both in need of donations, if you're interested.  

Don't inventory ... unload !!!

Barbed hooks rule!
My definition of work: Doing something in which effort exceeds gain.
Ex-Marine ... quondam fidelis

#6 brooknut

brooknut

Beginner

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:02 PM

Some of us "type A" personalities like that level of organization, and there are some helpful books that can get you closer to knowing the standards (the Orvis Pattern Book is one of the "classics," the Umpqua Feather Merchants Fly Pattern book is another. The Fly Fisherman Federation has a Fly Pattern Encyclopedia. When I was getting started, I would go to local fly shops - for a while, LLBean was local for me - and just try to learn to identify the most pertinent ones. Now, like many here, I keep them in boxes by type - streamers, dries, nymphs, wets, etc, or by season, or by where they will be fished. It means I have a lot of boxes, but it's easy to manage a wider assortment. There are several pattern databases on line

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself, than be crowded on a velvet cushion.   Henry David Thoreau

Reply to this topic