Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
MuskyFlyGuy

Musky Fly Swap 2017

We had an outstanding Musky Fly Swap last year. I was very impressed with the problem-solving ability and the technical/artistic skills of participants in the swap. Even though these are large flies, tiers need to balance weight of the hook and amount of materials with castability. Flies need to push water and/or have a very seductive action on them.

We will continue to target the biggest of these fish, those that are 40+ inches and 20+ pounds. All flies must be tied on hooks 4/0 or larger and are due no later than March 10, 2017. They need to be toe tagged and return postage must be included.

Swap - hook size 4/0 or larger and fly must be a minimum of 6.5 inches long (participants will tie 6 flies)

SM - Musky Fly Guy white/chartreuse streamer - 5/0 - received
1. Eastern Fly - streamer - received
2. Decisions - streamer - received
3.Flat Rock native - Sonic Flashtail - received
4. Crackleback - Bufford - received
5. WVUontheFly - Jumping Jack Flash - received
6. Andrew.da.cook - unnamed - 5/0 - received

Swap is full

Sign up by posting an "I'm in". Please specify the name of the fly and the size of the hook. I will verify with a confirming email or post. Remember to send them in a container that will hold flies of that size. If all flies are submitted early, I will sort and get them back right away. This will help us with our personal tying and planning for next year. If you have any questions, please send me an email. Last years swap was outstanding and ran very smoothly. I am looking forward seeing your efforts.

Tom

Musky Guy, I read of a system that worked for some guys in MN. There was a bait called wavewalker or somthing like that that was a fairly flat spoon with a paddle blade on a spin arm right in center. One would cast this spoon into shore or over weedbeds and crank really fast. When the bait got about halfway the other guy would cast a jerk bait like a Suick or large plastic bait and work it more slowly behind the spoon churning the surface. I believe it was the Capra boys from Capra Sports that did this and doubled the catch on the Mnpls/St Paul stocked musky lakes. Seems like something like might work with any of the fast churning surface baits and then throwing a big fly behind and strip hard.

Nick

We had an outstanding Musky Fly Swap last year. I was very impressed with the problem-solving ability and the technical/artistic skills of participants in the swap. Even though these are large flies, tiers need to balance weight of the hook and amount of materials with castability. Flies need to push water and/or have a very seductive action on them.

We will continue to target the biggest of these fish, those that are 40+ inches and 20+ pounds. All flies must be tied on hooks 4/0 or larger and are due no later than March 10, 2017. They need to be toe tagged and return postage must be included.

Swap - hook size 4/0 or larger and fly must be a minimum of 6.5 inches long (participants will tie 6 flies)

SM - Musky Fly Guy – white/chartreuse streamer - 5/0 -

1. Eastern Fly -

2. Josephcsylvia -

3.Flat Rock native -

4. Crackleback -

Sign up by posting an "I'm in". Please specify the name of the fly and the size of the hook. I will verify with a confirming email or post. Remember to send them in a container that will hold flies of that size. If all flies are submitted early, I will sort and get them back right away. This will help us with our personal tying and planning for next year. If you have any questions, please send me an email. Last year’s swap was outstanding and ran very smoothly. I am looking forward seeing your efforts.

Tom

Planning a Sonic Flashtail in PinkWonder or Firetiger. Need to order bigger hooks. Been using 2/0 Saltwaters on local Tiger Muskie and Bass flies...

The fly I would tie doesn't have a name, but it is 2 big game changing shanks attached to a 5/0 x-heavy worm hook. Tied with hackle tail, bucktail cones over body tubing body with a body tubing head.