Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
JSzymczyk

flexament - cheap!

I'm reposting this over from the tying bench forum-

Flexament is diluted Goop or Shoe Goo. The thinner or solvent is Toluene (Toluol). You can have a lifetime (almost) supply of flexament for about $10. Ace Hdwr. sells Toluene in a quart can for $5-something. A tube of goop is about $4. Squirt some goop in a glass container, then pour in some toluene, and mix it up, let it sit, and mix again until it's dissolved, and you have flexament.

Be sure to not breath the vapors, don't get it on your skin, don't work around any ignition sources, and always in a well ventilated area, outside preferably.

I just saw "Flexament Thinner" at a shop for $2 per ounce bottle. Thats $256 per gallon!!!! The thinner is just toluene in one-ounce bottles. The flexament was $3 per ounce!

The most difficult thing might be finding suitable small jars or bottles to keep it in. If you can find some good bottles, you'll be good to go.

Thanks for that great tip...I bought several tubes of shoe goo at one of our closeout stores for next to nothing...now I know what I'm going to do with some of it.

Any suggestion for ratios of toluol to goop... half and half???

Hot Tuna

Start out with 1 part Shoe-Goo to 2 parts Toluene. Adjust consistency from there. I use Glass jars used for airbrushes. Badger is the brand I believe. I have 3 jars on my tying bench, each at a different consistency.

I use a pipette to add solvent to mixtures to thin.

Hope this helps. BTW I have been using this mixture ever since I saw it in one of George Harvey's books. Several years now.

This stuff really sticks! Use the thin mixture as head cement. (it penetrates) Run a bit of medium consistency on your tying thread and then add dubbing. Place some in the cut off ends of deer hair etc. then tie down and it's almost impossible to pull the hair out.

Chuck

Thanks for the recipe Chuck...the baby jars are a good idea Jason...I've got a few of those lying around compliments of my little Tali.

Tie on,

Hot Tuna

Baby food jar would be excellent. Short , wide mouthed jar, less likely to fall over if bumped, and a nice rubber type seal on lid....

Better get busy making another kid.... WOW, nevermind, I'll just go buy a jar and dump the food out, much less work.

Great suggestion F-B-N, Thanks

And just FYI... I have been looking for extra suitable jars for a week or so and the local Sportsmans Warehouse wants $3.29 just for the jar.... for the EMPTY JAR :bs:

Sign in to follow this