Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Prybis

How to Shoot Video

First off I am using a Nikon COOLPIX AW100 to take videos from a modified go pro chest mount. I took some videos today of me fishing but had the angle a little off, but did get some video. I am looking for pointers on getting better videos. What angle should the camera be, what setting (HD1080p 1920x1080) (HS 15fps 1920x1080) (HS 60fps 1280x720), or anything else such as sun to the back. Then I need to know what software to use. I have only did one other edit job using windows live movie maker with a few tips from vimeo. Seemed to be okay but will take time to get used to it. I am not sure if the camera was zoomed in at all or not I just turned it on set the setting to the HD 1080p with auto focus on then started filming. I was looking to cut and paste some video together with a couple of pics taken from the video I took. I guess the editing will come with experience from using the program. Any help is appreciated.

Mike P.

Hi Mike,

I have been getting more and more into shooting video of my trips over the past couple years now. I find it very enjoyable to make some good footage as well as a neat way to save some memories. I now have two HD video cameras that I will be using on this next upcoming 2 week trip(Kodak playsport & Gopro Hero) The reason I am using two camera now is to get different vantage points/views. The biggest mistake IMO that people make when shooting fishing videos (or any video for that matter) is to just shoot it from one angle. Even a video of a great fish will quickly become boring to the viewer if it is continuously shoot from one angle. So try to use various angles when shooting your footage.

I know that can be hard to do when your going solo, but try to shoot from different angles and then in the editing program you can splice them together to make a very nice looking film with a number of shoots/angles to hold the viewers interest. Also try to use some footage while the camera is on a tripod and mix that in with the action shots of the camera mounted on you. It helps to mix in some nice steady footage where the camera is not bouncing around such as it will be while mounted on your person. When it comes to the Zoom I usually try to avoid using it. When zoom is used handheld it makes for a very very jumpy film and really takes away from what you are trying to shoot. It's better to get closer to something rather than trying to zoom in on it. Or use the zoom in the editing program post production that way it retains the steadiness of the footage.

Far as what mode/resolution I personally like to shoot in 720P 60FPS. I find the quality is just as good in playback as 1080 and the FPS makes for a nice smooth video of quick moving objects like fish jumping.

One of the better bang for the buck editing programs out there is Cyberlink Power director. I use the power director 9 which I paid about $55 for last year, but now that #10 is out I believe you can get #9 for about $35 now on Amazon.

Hope that helps some.

Steve

Thanks for the tips. I have a couple other cameras I could use but I would hate to use them on a tripod while wadding or attached to a tree and end up forgetting them or someone take them while I am fishing. I guess I will have to try to make do or find a few friends to fish with.

Well I took some footage of me using my tenkara rod at the pond and made a video. I think I had the angle of the camera to low but did get some okay footage. I ended uo using windows live movie maker for editing. This was easier to figure out than Picasa 3. The video ended up being just over 11 minutes and took forever to upload. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Only thing is I think I should have put some music to it. Not sure if I can just use any ole song or what though. Would hat to break the copyright laws.

Mike...I offer you the following tips for shooting video. I have over 30 years in the professions and have managed to pick up a few good habits. HA!

1. Make sure to White balance for changing light conditons. Most modern digital/HD have automatic WB, however, if you can manually set the WB I urge you to do that.

2. If the sun is out use it as a "key" light. Place subject so sun is shining towards the subject(s). A car windshield sun shade can be used as a reflector.

3. For HD I shoot in 1081i.

4. Don't rely on the camera microphone. I'd invest in a separate mic that cam be mounted onto the camera.

5. Video tape a "scene" in 3 parts. 1. Wide shot 2. Medium 3. Close up

6. Use movement in your shot selection. Using all stationary shots IMO is boring.

7. Use a tripod for important close-up shots.

8. If possible, do a sight survey. Look for possible hazards, etc..

9. I edit in Final Cut Pro. However, most computers systems now-a-days have "home" edit programs that are quite effective.

10. Have fun.

I hope these tips help you. Don't hesitate to PM if you need assistance down the road.

Later...

Windows movie maker is great and simple. Also to speed up upload time, compress your file. You can use handbrake. Its simple just youtube up some video tutorials of the program. You can compress your file to a tenth of the size in about an hour. Cuts down on upload time majorly.