Fly Tying
Bimini15

About musical taste?

Did not want to hijack the Song of the day thread, but I had a question...

Do you find that your taste in music was forged in your teenage years and has not changed much ever since? Do you find that the music of your youth is sort of comfort music?

I've had two problems all my life, with music. I can't, usually, understand the lyrics ... and I don't like "fuzzy music". "Fuzzy music" is my term for all those bands who play loud and fast to cover (what seems to me) an actual lack of talent.

Thus, I've grown up liking music that's clean and instrumental. Dad used to play the "Big Band" music, and I had an appreciation of that as long as there weren't any lyrics.

There were bands like "Pink Floyd", "Electric Light Orchestra", "REO SpeedWagon", "Rush", "Yes" and even "Alice Cooper", to name a few, that had excellent instrumental work on some or all of their songs. I liked them, but I never was a "fan" of any particular music.

Unlike most of the other people my age, I drove around in my '68 Camaro with Beethoven, Strauss, Wagner and other classical music composer's music blaring from my speakers.

Still prefer clean instrumental work to anything with lyrics.

I can see that... classical music cruisin’... total chick magnet... :D

I have a similar view for a different reason. English being my second language, I just did not understand a lot of the lyrics growing up. So I also keyed on the instrumentals. Even to this day, I do not even pay attention to a lot of the lyrics, and when I do, trying to keep an ear on what my kids listen to, I often regret it.

Teenage music for me was Doobie Brothers, Led Zeppelin, Aerosmith, Tom Petty.... later on Credence, Elvis Costello and the Clash. But then I found Ella and Louis, and it's never been the same since.

Guest rich mc

teen age i was into sports and followed the moody blues and boston. got married and country was popular in the house now that im older Christian music is my thing rich mc

Grew up on Johnny Cash, Hank Willams, Conway Twiggy, Merle Haggard and many more.

In high school it was Peter Frampton, Kiss, and ZZ Top.

Was asked to play Bluegrass and said no. Wanted to play rock. Boy was I an idiot. If I said yes I would have played the Grand Ole Opry a few times.

I love almost all music and still love most of the music of my youth, Little Feat, Allman Brothers, Steely Dan, Muddy Waters,

love everything from blue grass to Mingus and Mozart to Parliament.

I still play, write and record music, have my own little studio in my home, I have been making music with people all over the world

with a web site called Kompoz.

if I could ever figure out how to cut and paste to FTF, I would link you guys to some tunes.

but it would be easier to just Google "xterrabill" to hear stuff.

when I am not fishing or tying, I am pickin and a grinning.

smile.png

My taste in music has evolved over the years. I grew up listening to country music & Bluegrass, because that's what my parents liked. Then, the various rock & roll thru the 60's. 70's & some in the 80's.

I now listen to classical music quite often, but still like what I grew up listening to. So, I'll listen to pretty much anything except opera, which I can't understand anyway, ( although I will listen to the orchestration, just not the singing), rap which isn't music IMO, nor any of that hip hop stuff, which I simply don't care for. Of course there are bands, musicians & composers I like to listen to more than others, but generally will listen to most any in those categories that I like. smile.png

All the hard rock and heavy metal of my youth I still listen to. I rock harder now then my teenage years. I laugh when my teenagers yell at me to turn it down.

Oh boy, mine has changed a lot! My teenage years was Oingo Boingo, Violent Femmes, Clash, U2, REM etc. My College years Steve Miller Band, Doobie Brothers, Neil Young, Grateful Dead, etc. Now I like the the New Grass stuff...Infamous Stringdusters being my favorite. I still sing along to the stuff of my younger years though when I hear it.

I remember when Aerosmith was making their comeback and they did Walk This Way with Run DMC. We were at the dinner table and the boy who was in grade school at the time said he heard a great new group. I asked who it was and he said Aerosmith.

I started laughing and he got a little upset. I told him to hold on and got up from the table. When I returned I had my 8-track of Toys In The Attic. The look on his face was priceless, how can I like the same music as the old man.

I remember when Aerosmith was making their comeback and they did Walk This Way with Run DMC. We were at the dinner table and the boy who was in grade school at the time said he heard a great new group. I asked who it was and he said Aerosmith.

I started laughing and he got a little upset. I told him to hold on and got up from the table. When I returned I had my 8-track of Toys In The Attic. The look on his face was priceless, how can I like the same music as the old man.

One of the best short stories of 2017. Ageless rock and roll..... Thanks

I'm an aging headbanger. Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Hendrix, Aerosmith, Rolling Stones. Didn't care much for the 80's hairbands but did take a liking to AC/DC and then Metallica. Strangely I'm also a huge Elvis fan but wasn't when I was growing up. My mother played Elvis all the time and I hated it. Now, I really like the king. I think it's because of the memories I have with my mother being an Elvis super fan. Elvis does the best version of silver bells ever done. Anymore I mostly listen to sports talk radio anytime I have a radio on.

I've mellowed a bit as I have got into middle age. Use to it was all Metallica, Korn, Rage against the machine etc etc. I still listen to a bit of that but now I find myself listening to more classical and mellow type music. One in particular is Ludovico Einaudi. He;s been probably about my fav composer for the past 3-4 years now .

This one by him is by far my favorite..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qvglWAHDak