Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flyty1

Substitution for a new, old fly pattern

I have been digging out many old fly patterns. Instead of tying these with the classic dressings, I am having a great time using other materials to either simulate the original or, make up a new pattern with different action or coloration. For instance, I tie Micky Finn micro-clousers for trout using arctic fox fur - or Edson dark tigers using black and red schlappen, orange chenille, and orange dyed gray squirrel tail as the wing. Is anyone else playing with classic patterns like this?

I get what you are doing. I to like to tie some of the old patterns. But some of what I have tied substitution was a must because some materials can't be had or are very difficult to obtain.

I even like to play around with modern patterns. I have played around with using Icelandic sheep hair and light brite for Clousers. I have had smallmouth pick these 2 variations off the bottom while I was messing around with my line.

yes and no

i prefer to tie the classic/traditional flies using the original recipes and materials where possible but i will substitute materials when original materials are unavailable

then they become variants/variation to the original pattern and should be named accordingly. if you use bucktail in lieu of polar bear, its now a variation

i'm not about to buy illegal materials to tie certain flies and get busted by the feather police (on here or by the official ones smile.png)

iQPejho.jpg

:) :) :) :)

Has anyone else used Yak Hair as a variation, I tried it once while tying with some guys at a PHW tying session and found it to be kind of between buck tail and something like congo hair. It is somewhat coarse and stiffer than congo hair but much more flexible than buck tail. I don't recommend for baitfish patterns, but would do a great streamer pattern.

Blane

yak hair is great for tails and wings on bugs the body is moose hair not deer hair like in the standard henshall bug..everything is substituted. and there is the all moose-Spruce Moose..takes off and lands like the goose version..lol.

post-55674-0-31578700-1504111684_thumb.jpg

post-55674-0-96796500-1504463230_thumb.jpg

I'm not convinced that the 'modern' twists always make any benefit to the fly. But marketing new materials is always necessary so switching dubbing for pseudo hackle or hen slip wings for synthetic wings will be pushed in the media. The old patterns that have lasted this long have lasted cause the fish love them for what ever reason it is fish take a fly.

I'm not convinced that the 'modern' twists always make any benefit to the fly. But marketing new materials is always necessary so switching dubbing for pseudo hackle or hen slip wings for synthetic wings will be pushed in the media. The old patterns that have lasted this long have lasted cause the fish love them for what ever reason it is fish take a fly.

I agree with you in principle, but there are times when substituting 'modern' materials makes sense, not because the fly catches more fish, but for practical tying reasons. For example, the traditional material may be unavailable, or more expensive, or the new material may be easier to work with. Consider feather wings, for example. As much I love them, there are times when it's just easier to use poly yarn (and probably cheaper) than quill slips. The flies with the newer material may not catch more fish, but they don't catch fewer, either, and they last longer.

Just being devil's advocate here. I almost always go with natural materials given a choice.

I agree, it won't be long before someone is selling flies on a environmental ethical platform and it'll be recycled synthetics, no animal products etc.

With a disclaimer that no dead animals were hurt in the creation of this fly?

Except those who's habitats were raped for the petroleum to make plastics....

Devil Fish- just two clumps of moose hair with tips pulled back between flared butts which form the fins and tied off to make a tail..

post-55674-0-93936400-1509313979_thumb.jpg

Except those who's habitats were raped for the petroleum to make plastics....

Petroleum extraction causes MUCH less habitat destruction than harvesting wood for your homes or metal for your cars or most importantly, food for your dinner table.

My Dad and my oldest sister lived in parts of the mid-west. Every time I visited out there, I saw sights like this one.

oil and wildlife.jpg

The BP oil spill was expected to destroy life in the Gulf. However, the one year moratorium on fishing in the gulf did MUCH more to bolster the sea life populations. The oil spill was bad, no doubt, but humans over-harvesting is more detrimental to life on this planet than any industry, or the accidents they sometimes have.

Sorry ... once again hijacking a thread because people type incorrect information without proper research.