Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Black crab/shrimp fly with underwater footage.

Crabs and shrimp are very important food sources for many saltwater fish species. Among the most popular of these species are the drum family. Red drum (commonly known as redfish) and black drum both eat crabs and shrimp redily. Black drum in south Texas especially go after black colored crab flies that are fished along the bottom. This fly resembles both a crab and a shrimp, and is very effective for both redfish and black drum. It also is effective for many other species like bonefish (when tied smaller) and permit. The flashy materials used helps get the fish's attention without being too flashy to scare them away.

Hook: Gamakatsu SS15 size 2 (can be tied from size 6-1/0 on any saltwater long shank hook)
Thread: Danville 210 flat waxed
Flash: Holographic Flashabou (any fine flash material like crystal flash could work)
Tail: Super Flash Dubbing (any stripped tinsel flash like ice dubbing could work)
Claws: Grizzly saddle hackle (Black hackle works great as well)
Body: Super Fiber (EP fiber, or any type of fine synthetic fiber can work)
Weight: Dumbbell eyes in the largest size that will fit on the hook properly.
Music: funnysong, ukulele, Sunny - Bensound.com

very nicely done, your videos have come a long way. For trimming these types of flies, I have found the using curved scissors helps get that rounded look on the body.

very nicely done, your videos have come a long way. For trimming these types of flies, I have found the using curved scissors helps get that rounded look on the body.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words.

Yeah that would look good! I've actually cut them rounded before... I just like this shape for this pattern. Kinda looks like it could be a shrimp being thinner but still resembles a crab you know? But yeah, rounded scissors would help with cutting rounded bodies for this. Good suggestion.

So, do you guys like the underwater footage? Its at the end of the video. Is that something you guys think I should add at the end of all my streamer video's? Its not too easy to do, but if you guys think it makes the video better I will do it. This one was experimental with the underwater thing. Any suggestions on how to make the footage better? I used a go-pro in my bathtub. I finally moved to a place that has a bathtub that I can use for this. The extra footage does end up taking me a good hour or so longer with editing and shooting, but if you guys like it better, It is worth it.

As I have said in other threads about your videos, I am a huge fan of the underwater footage because it gives an idea of how the fly will actually behave when fished. Many times, flies look awesome in the fire but then lack movement or just don't look right when fished. Others look OK in the vise but then incredible in the water. I remember the first time I saw a Lefty's Deceiver and couldn't figure out why this was such famous and effective fly. Then I saw one underwater and was blown away by how it swam.

I'm very interested in underwater footage - it's great to see how the fly acts subsurface and how you can/should fish the fly. Well done.

Great, glad you liked it. So continue doing them I'm guessing? Do you think it actually adds to the video, or just a nice little feature? Would you watch video's more often if they had this?

Sorry for the 1000 questions, I am just trying to figure out if its worth adding the extra time to do them. If it gets me more views per video, then I will absolutely do them more often. If not, then I might not be able to.

As I have said in other threads about your videos, I am a huge fan of the underwater footage because it gives an idea of how the fly will actually behave when fished. Many times, flies look awesome in the fire but then lack movement or just don't look right when fished. Others look OK in the vise but then incredible in the water. I remember the first time I saw a Lefty's Deceiver and couldn't figure out why this was such famous and effective fly. Then I saw one underwater and was blown away by how it swam.

Yes, I know you have always been a big advocate of underwater footage. Up until now It really wasn't practical to do it. But now that I have a bathtub, I don't have to run 2 hour round trip out to the river to take a quick underwater video every time I make a fly. HAHA It still ads time, but much more practical now.

So you also would watch more video's with underwater footage? So you think I will get more views and therefor it will be worth it to add that extra few hour step?

100% would be more inclined to watch with underwater videos. If I knew that was your 'thing' I would definitely subscribe to your YouTube channel. I think there are so many people making tying videos (which is great!), but if you're interested in separating yourself from the rest of the field, I think it would be smart. I don't know much about anything though - just what I like.

Yes, I know you have always been a big advocate of underwater footage. Up until now It really wasn't practical to do it. But now that I have a bathtub, I don't have to run 2 hour round trip out to the river to take a quick underwater video every time I make a fly. HAHA It still ads time, but much more practical now.

So you also would watch more video's with underwater footage? So you think I will get more views and therefor it will be worth it to add that extra few hour step?

I would think so since so few other videos on youtube do that. Makes yours stand out a bit

Underwater footage is very valuable and rare, so a big plus for your fly tying videos. Same thing goes for floating flies. Almost no one includes the critical view of a fly in its element.

Thanks

Underwater footage is very valuable and rare, so a big plus for your fly tying videos. Same thing goes for floating flies. Almost no one includes the critical view of a fly in its element.

Thanks

I did a video with the fly floating on top of the water once, and even a view of that fly from a fish perspective (under the water looking up to the floating fly) Check out my Griffith's Gnat video with that in it... I even went as far as to go out to my local river (the san juan) and film/photograph some midge clusters to show what the fly is supposed to resemble.

Ok so its official then, It seems like its a resounding Yes from everyone for me to put the underwater footage for all my streamer patterns. I will do my best to include that from now on.

As for dry flies, I will also try to do that with footage on top of the water (and fishes perspective).

As for nymphs, any idea's on what you guys want to see with nymphs? Its not like they generally have moving things, so it would be kinda boring to see a nymph in the water.... HAHA

Also, any other recommendations for improvements for the video's? I am working on getting a 4K camera, but they are a bit pricy, and I need to make a bit more from advertising to buy it. Im no where near making the kind of money yet to be able to afford that kinda camera. So I do have aspirations to improve the video quality as soon as I can afford it. But other than video quality, any thing else you guys would like to see?