Fly Tying

Does anyone know of a cheap but trusted source when I can get some vinyl or d rib to tie some crazy Charlie's ?

I have heard of people using the clear beading lace at craft stores. For the body of a crazy charlie and similar flies I have used mono line and it makes a good looking body

post-18514-0-71205300-1465612655_thumb.jpg

Half round is D shaped and lies flat on underwound materials

That's the theory,however,I haven't used it so I would stick with regular.Just a personal thing.After some practice you shouldn't have an issue

go to the craft shop and look for "stretch magic". comes in clear and other colors

stretch-magic-.5mm-25m-roll.jpg

or look for "rexlace" as another option

SWLA400S.jpg

Hobby and craft stores can be a gold mine for tying materials. I have tied a couple pheasant tails with heavy brown button thread- single wrap on the abdomen and double wrap for the thorax and head. Can be tied with or without a bead. And....it had fooled fish. Either it is a good tie or real stupid fish.

Vinyl ribbing is one of the few items that I don't try to out-source since the stuff meant for fly tying (medium sized vinyl D-rib...) just works better than anything else I've found. The reason I stick with it is that it stretches just enough to do a really good job. Yes, you can substitute ordinary 20 or 30lb mono but it just won't look nearly as nice as the real thing... I buy mine by the box of 12 spools instead of one spool at a time... Hope this helps.

This is clear D ribbing material over flat gold tinsel, to give you an idea.

It came from Hook and Hackle a loooong time ago.

post-52874-0-08753300-1465743290_thumb.jpeg

Stretch Magic is really good stuff and it stretches like crazy and comes in three different diameters starting at 1/2 mil. I use d rib also but only because I have so much of it.