Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Favorite Fibers

Hey guys, need to replace these ep fibers. They are way too expensive for the amount you get in a fly plus it is a pain in the you know what to tie with. If you have tied with ep then you know what I'm talking about.

Looking for a fiber that is cheap and isn't as demanding than ep is. I have looked into Congo fiber and super hair which I can get from a good price on Mc. Flys ebay store. If any of you know of a fiber like this, please list it and the website you get it from.

Thanks guys!

Congo hair direct from Fly Tier's Dungeon. Price, quality, and colors can't be beat. Makes exceptionally nice baitfish flies of that style. Get on the Mad Scientist's email list, sometimes there are specials and you get a load of materials for cheap.

Not even just baitfish. Congo hair, for me, has successfully replaced EP fibres in a bunch of shrimp and crab patterns as well. The range is fantastic....

I really hate agreeing with Mike ..... :P

Craft yarn (sold under the brand name Bonnie Braid,) is the cheapest fiber material you can get. I have purchased mine at Joann Fabrics for 2 to 4 dollars for a 100 yard skein. The braided yarn has to be separated into single strands, and these strands brushed out into fibers. That process takes less than a minute, and the resulting fiber from a single strand of 6 to 8 inches will make a fine bait fish pattern. The craft yarn comes in dozens of colors which can be blended. Flash can be added as necessary. If I can't use craft yarn, I use Congo hair.

6mm Bonnie Braid macrame yarn. Just brush it out with a comb and dog brush (the broad kind with bent flexible wires). One hank retails at about +/- $10 but you get 100yds. Same crinkle and colors as EP. Get white first and use markers to make it any color you want.

I really hate agreeing with Mike ..... tongue.png

Feeling's mutual, ya goon guzzling hoon!

(Yeah, I had to look those up!)

biggrin.png

I really hate agreeing with Mike ..... :P

Feeling's mutual, ya goon guzzling hoon!

(Yeah, I had to look those up!)

:D

I've gpt nothing. Well played sir, well played.

wink.png As long as we're still friends, Dave. I'd like to know there's a "guide" waiting for me if I ever get to your part of the World.

I might even share some of that wine with you.

Flats,

What problems are you having with EPs?

He will answer for himself soon I imagine, but I think he was looking for a less expensive option.

Yes they are pretty expensive and I can't exactly drop 9$ each time I want a new color of ep fibers.

Also, tying with ep is very frustrating and that's not what tying is about. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's VERY difficult for a novice tier like myself to tie with ep. So far (I have 2 packs ... white and tarpon streamer ) and I'm almost done using them. And yet I don't have a fly that I consider "fly box worthy ".

What I'm trying to say is that first I think a beginner should practice using a cheaper material like super fiber, "master" that then work on to ep fibers.

I think I will purchase several colors of super fiber from Mc Flys ebay store for the price of 1 ep fiber package.

Thank you all for your recommendations, I promise to try those soon!

Flats,

What problems are you having with EPs?

He will answer for himself soon I imagine, but I think he was looking for a less expensive option.

Also, tying with ep is very frustrating and that's not what tying is about.

I am with Bimini on his question though.

Why are you getting frustrated tying with synthetic fibers?

What trouble are you actually having?

I haven't used EP by brand, but I have been tying with FTD's Congo hair and love it. I find it easy to work with, so I am having difficulty understanding where your frustration lies.

My take on poly fibers (EP, Congo, macrame yarn, etc.) for streamers is that they aren't the greatest for movement in the water. I actually love EP fibers for poly wings on dry flies though, and I have been using them for everything from midges to big chernobyls. Another thing to consider is that you get a literal crap ton of materials for the price with the EP stuff.

If you are looking for a synthetic material that has surprisingly good movement, check out Steve Farrar blend fibers, and/or flash & slinky. I usually throw those on a hook and make a head out of Bruiser Blend dubbing for a very simple fly that moves like crazy.

My take on poly fibers (EP, Congo, macrame yarn, etc.) for streamers is that they aren't the greatest for movement in the water. I actually love EP fibers for poly wings on dry flies though, and I have been using them for everything from midges to big chernobyls. Another thing to consider is that you get a literal crap ton of materials for the price with the EP stuff.

If you are looking for a synthetic material that has surprisingly good movement, check out Steve Farrar blend fibers, and/or flash & slinky. I usually throw those on a hook and make a head out of Bruiser Blend dubbing for a very simple fly that moves like crazy.

This.

I gave all of my EP and congo hair away because it just doesnt do anything for me. It has zero action in the water....yes it holds its profile, but thats all. There are alot of "better" options for synthetic materials on streamers then that style IMO.