Fly Tying
FlatsRoamer

Worst Thing About Fly Tying

For me, its when my thread breaks when im almost done with the fly. Especially if it has expensive materials in it! Interested to hear what you guys think!

Half hitch at intervals and your problem is solved. Mine is organization, mess, and time.

It is annoying when it happens, very annoying, but with time you will learn about thread management and breaking points.

My issues are more along the lines of Kudu's. It is like the creatures come back to life and they all find their way to the desk at once, all the time, no matter what I am tying or how often I put them away.

It took me a decade or two to figure out it wasn't my bobbins fault the thread was breaking but how tight I had it set up. Or otherwise User error. However, for that errant break, if you stop right there and just get your thread started again , then a drop of glue or head cement, you can usually just continue tying or whip finishing or what ever you were doing. It's rare these days I lose materials.

I like the occasional half hitch idea as well. I dislike the disproportionate cost of some materials compared to similar materials in another market ! Anything else I dislike really comes down to my own laziness.

poorly dyed marabou

just handling these feathers to get them out of their zip lock bag, your fingers turn to whatever color the marabou was dyed

the wapsi brand was the worse of the major brands that i have used lately

regarding broken thread: setting up a brand new bobbin holder has already been mentioned but you dhould also intentionally break some different strengths of thread to get a feel for how much tension can be applied to it prior to its breaking

i just grab the broken thread with hackle pliers and retie the tying thread

brokenthread.jpg

How long it took me to figure out hat I did not have to aquire the materials described in a pattern recipe.

Feel freed to use what you have.

Rick

Ramming a hook point into a finger or under the nail while packing deer hair!!!I've gotten myself more times than I can count!

For me right now, it's tying the second fly of a set.

The first one makes me feel really good about getting back to the vise and tying, but the second fly shows me everything that's different and "wrong". I'm at a stage where this can be very disappointing. It can also be helpful and get me on track for the next few though.

By the time I get three or four flies into the set, the differences start to average out as I get dialed in and it all looks good once they start to add up in the fly box.

Definitely the mess!

When I look at my scraps and trimmings, I find myself thinking, "I can use that on another fly...." so I set it aside to use later. After a while, I can't find anything for all the piles of useful scraps.... I guess I'm a pack rat by nature, and fly tying just brings out the worst.

Being so certain that I have something in a specific color at home in my stash so I don't buy it from work or another places that sells tying stuff. Get home with an idea in mind and find that I, in fact, do not own that particular item. When I want to tie something it's usually something specific and I find that the creative urge tends to slip away when I realize I lack the materials.

J

+1 for mess and organization. Still ironing out an organizational style that works for me and the vacuum lives next to my tying bench.

-Nick

For me one of the worst things is also one of the best things! YouTube! On the good side I get to see some great tiers demonstrate tying some of their awesome flies! I get soooo excited! But then I go tie several . . . and compare my creations to theirs! Sure . . . mine will catch fish! But we all realize most of us are trying to please ourselves. We want our creations to be fantastic. Almost always my are not . . .