Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

What are they?

Look like midge larvae or pupae to me, especially if the big ones are size 18-20. Plus the guy mentioned tying zebras to imitate them.

Usually I can look at a fly and guess pretty well what I'd need to dupe a reasonable facsimile. No idea on yours. What are the body segments and is it coated with UV or wrapped in scud back or something like that?

Prolly shouda left the dubbed heads off cuz they aren't showing legs. So mine are more a caddis larva rather than a midge....the glass beads are too big to do 18-20s

My midges

Maybe do some with emerald bead head and the green d-rib on 18s....?

IMG_0422.jpg

IMG_0544.png

Wish I had clear small d-rib.... here's with olive rib over olive thread; 2 with UV over the d rib. Looses it's translucent buggy look...too dark. ???? The 2 are 18

IMG_0558.png

The larvae in question are Black Flies, otherwise known as Simulids. They are part of the Diptera Family:

mn7d8UP.jpg

I tie a number of different patterns to match their hatch progression:

2V0TigP.jpg

fW9iBja.jpg

BROWN/OLIVE BLACK FLY LARVAE ( Simulium vittatum ) – Parrott/Variant…

JqulyvV.jpg

Read about them here: http://www.west-fly-fishing.com/index.php/feature-articles/564-Feature_657

PT/TB

Thanks for the info PT. All this entomology over my head but looks like a general midge pattern in the olive, brown will imitate a lot of different forms. Good enough for a low tech-er like me...the UV resin killed the look over the d rib so gotta do that different. I like the way it gives translucence to the bugs. The brite green translucent look is what I wanta get...

http://flyfishingarkansasandmissouri.yuku.com/what-are-these-t10202.html

A guy on the Arkie site showed this for a good way to get what I want.

IMG_0494.png

Thanks for the info PT. All this entomology over my head but looks like a general midge pattern in the olive, brown will imitate a lot of different forms. Good enough for a low tech-er like me...the UV resin killed the look over the d rib so gotta do that different. I like the way it gives translucence to the bugs. The brite green translucent look is what I wanta get...

http://flyfishingarkansasandmissouri.yuku.com/what-are-these-t10202.html

A guy on the Arkie site showed this for a good way to get what I want.

The difference with the UV resin is that you need a very very small amount. Use a fine needle tip to rub a small amount down the fly. I prefer thinned sally H for this type of fly as it is cheaper, easier and same result.