Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

have you ever.....

Yep have many times. Makes it even worse is when it happens right before dark and it's almost impossible to see to untangle. That's when I'll just cut the whole damn thing and redo a new leader rather than sit on the bank in the fading light swearing up a storm lol

Nope! Never had anything like that happen. And I'm sticking to that story as long as none of you see me fishing !!!

When you're loch fishing a team of 3 flies and one gets just a tiny tangle on the top of the rod, and everytime I think, I can just waggle the rod about and shake that out. And everytime the whole point lot needs cutting off and starting again.

Yep, more than I'd care to admit... there are some days when I point my anglers to a spot and say "toss here" - and of course the fly lands - there... As one guide I know put it - the only thing my anglers could hook today - was me...

We do have minor and not so minor tangles on a regular basis - but nothing beats what a motor can do to a fly line if it's anywhere near the prop when it's shifted into gear... Outboard motors are hard on fly lines (and any other kind of line as well...).

My booking tomorrow night will start after the sun goes down and end around midnight... I keep a Petzl headlight around my neck ready to turn on whenever tangles happen... Night fishing is a lot more fun when your fly is in the water - particularly when small tarpon in the 20 to 40lb range - are right in front of you feeding on shrimp riding the tide... and you're out of action with a tangled fly rod...

If I'm shad fishing that's a great day. It means every rod is popping and I have to quit because my arms are sore.