Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Artin

Tiemco thread

I really like this thread, it's small diameter and ability to lay flat. Tiemco stopped selling it. I'm looking for help in trying to find the original manufacturer of this material. The 16/0 was really nice with the really small size flies 20 and smaller.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

i cant help you locate tiemco thread but i will recommend veevus or semperfli nano silk thrreads for tiny flies

Pretty sure everything "Tiemco" was imported here by Umpqua Feather Merchants... Since they're a wholesale outfit you might have your local shop that stocks their products to inquire about that item... The reps for Umpqua should be able to find out the story.

Hope this helps

Hi Artin,

There was a post here five full years ago when that thread was no longer being made. It was never made for long at all to begin with. Instead of using a lot of time to try and find something that is long gone, I would buy a spool from different places to find a really good replacement. If it had been in production for years and years, it would be a different story. Gudebrod and Pearsall's are in that category, Tiemco thread is not.

Regards,

Mark

TMC/UFM got out of the materials business a couple of years ago.

I got a couple of spools before they closed down.

Kimo

Hey Artin,

The TMC 16/0 thread was manufactured at a factory in Thailand. I got the guys at The Spot and Bob Marriott's to stock it after it came out. When I became aware that it was being discontinued, I grabbed every last of spool that Marriott's had...You might want to contact Tiemco directly, in Japan and see if they can steer you to the original manufacturing plant in Thailand...I have enough left to last for awhile...

This is Tiemco's Japanese site. *Note that they are still in the biz of making fly tying materials:

https://www.tiemco.co.jp/eng/groups/index/type_id:2/category_id:13

Hope you can get them to put you in the right direction. Semper-Fli 18/0 Nano Silk is OK as an option, but it lacks the characteristics that made tiers like Charlie Craven and Juan Ramirez rave about Tiemco 16/0 for the little guys...See you on the water, my friend !

SxdATNG.jpg

PT/TB

Thanks everyone for responding. First and foremost I'd like to apologize for not responding for such a long time. Nothing spectacular has happened to me so I wont be able to give you a story about aliens coming off of a shooting star and stealing my keyboard only to return it tonight. Truth is, after I posted this topic I tried to log back on and was getting a 504 error, then after a few attempts I said I'd wait and see if the website is correct about a week after. Then I forgot about this thread because of life. I have not had any luck, I know about the nano and veevus. They slip. They are GSP. Strong but I'd rather find the TMC one, maybe under a different brand. Tim I love this thread. It's really wonderful. It was expensive though. But worth it. I will contact them directly and see if I can get a hold of the original manufacturer. It's worth the effort I think. I'll let you know if I find anything for sure. Let me know if you are down here. Maybe we can hook up and tie or just grab some food!

Cheers