Welcome to FlyTyingForum.com

FlyTyingForum.com is the largest fly tying community in the world and we hope you take a moment to register for a free account and join this amazingly friendly and helpful group of anglers. FTF has over 12,000 registered members that have made over 300,000 posts and have uploaded over 6,000 patterns to our exclusive fly pattern database!

If you are an experienced fly tier or just starting out FTF is the perfect place to call home. Click Here To Register for a Free Account

Fly Pattern Database / Browse by Topics / Browse by Material / Fly Tying Bench Database / Fly Fishing & Tying Videos / FTFCurrent(NEW!)
Featured Products: Fly Tying Hooks / Fly Tying Scissors / Waterproof Fly Boxes
Photo

McFlyFoam vs Egg Yarn

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

Poll: Which do you prefer for making egg patterns

Which do you prefer for making egg patterns

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

For I am Mullis...Lord of the idiots!

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:25 PM

I have seen alot of discussion about McFlyFoam vs Egg Yarn and it seems split as far as what people prefer. Me, I like the foam, it's MUCH easier to use and they turn out better than when I use the yarn. From what I hear the foam is more boyant but with a split shot a few inches up the line it doesn't seem to be a problem. dunno.gif

test

#2 Steelheader69

Steelheader69

Lord of the bunnies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,202 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:34 PM

Actually, we don't use many egg patterns here in the NW. Mostly if you're fishing Dollies or cutts (or even some resident Rainbows). Mostly I'll build up an egg with chenille. But I do use alot of egg yarn for making tails on flies. Works awesome (plus, yarn sticks to fish teeth, so will help the hookup rate with steelhead). I was sent a sample of the mcflyfoam, I didn't care for it for that purpose. But for egg patterns, I could see where it would be nice. Myself though, I'd rather use the egg yarn.

#3 JarrodRuggles

JarrodRuggles

Banned from fishing in 48 states~!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 03:55 PM

Personally,

I think the egg yarn is a little easier to work with and shape.
banned from fishing the other 2 states...

#4 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:13 PM

Glo Bug yarn thumbsup.gif

Mc foam shit.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

OSD.
user posted image

#5 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 04:37 PM

I would agree that egg yarn looks better but getting a nice looking ball out of it is quite the challenge. Ther is NO WAY I will believe that Egg Yarn is easier to work with and shape, that's impossible. nono.gif

BTW Culpepper = shit.gif , not mcflyfoam

test

#6 mozes

mozes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 797 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:14 PM

I have no problems with glow bug yarn. Never tried the foam. The trick with yarn is to put it on with tight wraps and cut it close to the hook. After about 1 or 2 dozen it get very easy!

David
www.vulcanzone.com

#7 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:15 PM

I know you would trade QB's with me in a New York minute.
Your not fooling me with your shit.gif
I may not know football, but I know my QB. is the guy to have on a fantacy football team.

headbang.gif

Bob
user posted image

#8 B.C.TroutHunter

B.C.TroutHunter

Tinky Winky

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 06:44 PM

I also use chenille since I am still struggling with the stupid glo bug yarn!

#9 Todder

Todder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 07:59 PM

QUOTE (SmallieHunter @ Sep 21 2004, 05:37 PM)
Ther is NO WAY I will believe that Egg Yarn is easier to work with and shape, that's impossible.

I have to agree with smallie here. To get a decent round shape out of egg yarn I've had to tie it on both the top and bottom of the shank. Then trim until I wanted to chuck it. Mc Fly Foam I just tie it on top, clip it then roll it around in my fingers and whalla...it's round.

#10 MSUICEMAN

MSUICEMAN

When this baby hits 88mph...your gonna see some serious sh*t!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 08:40 PM

did anyone post the pen trick on here?

steve
He told us about Christ's disciples being fishermen, and we were left to assume, as my brother and I did, that all first-class fishermen on the Sea of Galilee were fly fishermen and that John, the favorite, was a dry-fly fisherman.

#11 artimus

artimus

What? a fly swap?..... I'M IN!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 801 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:16 PM

steve,

The pen trick is around here somewhere I do believe. A great tip for tying eggs.

I'm a yarn guy myself, partly because I've never used the foam nor seen it. Tips that work for me are to double the yarn before tying (1/4 -1/3 for blood dot), and use a strong thread. Two really tight wraps, and then a figure eight or single wrap around the base. Tie off and then cut. Shape the yarn down around the shank and then trim. Takes a bit of practice (might have the stripe a few hooks), but near foolproof once learned.

Art
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.
----- Unknown -----

#12 steeladdict

steeladdict

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:42 PM

Mcfly Foam is just a little easier to work with.

#13 SDHflyfisher

SDHflyfisher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:52 PM

osd posted the pen trick a long time ago check the fly database

as for me mcflyfoam
Hansen Custom Fly Rods

http://sdhflyfisher.tripod.com/

#14 OSD

OSD

Doing things the old way

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 04:02 AM

user posted image
user posted image

#15 SmallieHunter

SmallieHunter

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,486 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 08:04 AM

Yea I have seen the pen trick and have used it and have gotten some to come out looking decent. It's still a ton more work compared to just being able to tie in the foam then clip it and it comes out looking perfectly cool.gif

test