Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
SullyTM

Back from Belize (Ambergris Caye)

The trip to Ambergris Caye was well worth the wait and planning...Weather was about as good as it gets. No bugs, no rain...Bearable wind, except for the last 2 days when it was howling. For my first time flats fishing I have to say it was very enjoyable. My approach was DIY(Do It Yourself). I fished almost everday. Usually 2-3 hours in the morning...mid-afternoon after a siesta and at dusk. I landed some bonefish(size 10 worked best and pink was the go to color)...nothing large and had several to hook. On the west side of San Pedro is a lagoon and harbor for fishing boats...There were the occasional bonefish pod but the real treat was tarpon! In the late afternoon/dusk they come into the dock areas and seemed to follow the rays that are churning up the mud. I was able to hook a few and the adrenalin rush was unreal...nothing landed and the 8 weight held its own. It's a fish I definitely want to go after again. Did someone say Florida Keys?

The local food was very good and the Belikin beer was always cold. The people were friendly and helpful. Safety was not a concern. I received some valuable information from a local guide on fly selection and another guide pointed me in the direction of some nearby flats water within walking distance from the hotel my wife and I stayed at. Neither one of them tried to get me to book them. They were just being helpful. It was greatly appreciated.

Of course any vacation isn't without some negatives. The item that was the most negative was the condition of the beaches. Trash everywhere and I don't mean seaweed. Living in California has spoiled me...there is no excuse in my book for this kind of dis-respect for the environment. I know that some of it is cultural and some of it is tourists just not caring...Yes, I did pick up trash when I could.

Things to bring...Hydrogen peroxide(or just buy it at a local pharmacy). I had a need for it one day while hunting tarpon and a couple of local guides came to the rescue. Bring band-aides(blisters). Lip balm(30 spf was what I used). Tip money...I'd suggest $50 in ones at the minimum.

Not alot of clothes...you just don't need to overdress. LOL

I could go on but I hope this gives you a snapshot of the trip.

I want to thank those of you who offered your help and suggestions while I was preparing for this trip. It was/is greatly appreciated. SALT is in my future and there are plenty of spots in the world to seek out. Did some say Florida Keys?

Later guys...

Thom

Thanks for posting - very informative, and it sounds like you had a blast down there. Too bad about all the trash - there are pigs everywhere, including right here in the U.S.A.

Will try and get some photos posted soon. Having download problems...

Don't get me wrong about the trash. It didn't spoil the vacation. I just think that a country that survives for the most part on tourist $$ would place a greater emphasis on keeping the beaches cleaner. For me, when I hike into a stream, creek etc. i always bring a bag for trash that I find. Enough of the sop box.

Regarding tarpon...I've been reading that Florida is a hot spot? When is the best time of the year to fish for them? I used to watch ABC's Wild World of Sports back in the Curt Gowdy era and stories about tarpon fishing always interested me. Having had a slight taste of fishing for them I defintely want to meet them again.

A couple of more items to bring to Belize. Depending on what your accommodations are like, bring a good length of strong twine/rope and some clothespins. We just hand washed our clothes. Bring your own "beach" towel and a couple of small hand towels. Finally, if you have problems with allergies etc. bring your meds. And...remember to stay hydrated!

Later...

Thom

I saw Curt Goudy fishing a deep flat for tarpon with Bradshaw many years ago...I am not sure I even knew what a tarpon was back then. Bradshaw ended up in the water holding his rod up over his head in about 4 or 5' of water. Loved those old Curt Goudy shorts. Then I found Walker's Cay and Spanish fly.

Sounds like a terrific trip.....good on you for the DIY part.

I've tried for tarpon in Key West on a trip with the little woman but never got a hookup. That must be the ultimate rush though, because I was crapping my shorts just watching them go by and casting to them.

Tarpon migrate up the west coast here in FL starting about now and they can be caught all summer. Unfortunately I'm always back in Canada by then so I miss out.

Cheers.....Fred

Had an internet conversation with a fella that lived in the FL panhandle a year or so back. He is the one that convinced me to buy a Conlon Torrent reel. He chases tarpon up there in his area and says he catches a few each year but they are all large fish that migrate up that far. As I recall he indicated that they averaged around 100# or so. I know some of you fellas yearn to hook into some of the big ones but that appears to be too much work for me. I would be thrilled to get a 30#er. Who am I kidding.....I would be thrilled with a 15#er. ........

Fred, you are correct about the thrill of just seeing them swim by. That, and the large rays that also were looking for food. ditz2, hard to say how big these tarpon were. When I hooked one it ran and jumped, shaking out the hook I estimated 20+ lbs.. The two little local boys who were following me yelled "TARPOON!" And then they proceeded to go through my fly box telling me what flies to use. LOL

Later...