Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mickalo

StoneFly patterns

I've been looking at different stonefly patterns, there must be 100's of them :) I'm looking for kind of a "All Purpose" stonefly pattern, if you will, that will work in our area, Central US/Iowa area. Anyone have any suggestions for pattern(s) & colors that'll work in my area ?

Thx's

Mike

think I'll try a couple of the foam stonefly patterns and see how they work out and maybe a golden stone I think we've got those around here :)

Mike

brooks stonefly tied in colors that imitate the colors of the stoneflies in your area.

check out hatch charts for the streams in your area or the area you are going to be fishing and tie accordingly

thx's flytire. I was actually looking at that pattern the other day on the Sierra Flybox patterns website. A pretty easy tie too :)

MIke

more ideas

fullback

halfback

birds stonefly

bitch creeks

kaufmanns stonefly

stimulators

sofa pillows

Pat's Rubberlegs is a killer...Coffee Black variegated chenile with brown legs for the Pteronarcys #8-#4, and variegated gold/brown with gold legs for the goldens..usually #6 or #8. Cheers.

The Fly Fishing entomology web site lists 44 species of stoneflies found in Iowa.

http://flyfishingentomology.com/NAStonefly...butionQuery.php

Hatch charts for Iowa only list about 4 patterns, all are relatively small size 10 to 16. They are brown black, and the yellow sally would be a yellow body as an adult, and a fairly light color as a nymph.

Brooks stone fly nymphs in black, brown, and tan, should cover most of what you may encounter. Tie these on 3 or 4 xl hooks in sizes 10 to 16. For dry flies, a stimulater with orange, than and yellow bodies should do the trick. Or just an elk hair caddis. Again size 10 on down to 16.

The Fly Fishing entomology web site lists 44 species of stoneflies found in Iowa.

http://flyfishingentomology.com/NAStonefly...butionQuery.php

Hatch charts for Iowa only list about 4 patterns, all are relatively small size 10 to 16. They are brown black, and the yellow sally would be a yellow body as an adult, and a fairly light color as a nymph.

Brooks stone fly nymphs in black, brown, and tan, should cover most of what you may encounter. Tie these on 3 or 4 xl hooks in sizes 10 to 16. For dry flies, a stimulater with orange, than and yellow bodies should do the trick. Or just an elk hair caddis. Again size 10 on down to 16.

Great info utyer, thanks. this will be really handy to have.

Mike