Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies From the Vise

Shouldn't the first fly posted in "May flies from the vise" be a Mayfly? Uh huh huh. With that said (and I do regret it) that is a really nice colored Wooly.

A MAYFLY for May flies from the vise. I pulled this from last month. I did not tie this fly.

post-19822-0-69989100-1556716478_thumb.jpg

flytire, What species do you go for with that Wolly Bugger? That is a cool color. Could almost be a baby brown if tied with the yellow on the bottom and brown on top. I think I'm going to have to copy that one. Good job!

Barney Google

Barney-Google-800-side.jpg

Reference - Fly Dressing Innovations by Richard Walker

A one feather sculpin. Hopper hook barbells and one saddle hackle. I do strip off some of the marabou fuzz at the fat part of the stem and chop it up and save it for last step. Fix the barbells with thread and CA glue. Tie the feather on with lots of marabou still up front. Now use the chopped marabou made from that same feather to touch-dub some more fuzz around the barbells. Whip finish.

Sparse casts better and sinks faster. You could add some long synthetic fibers of some kind if you think it's too sparse. I like sparse streamers. More simple is more better.

up-2019-04-30-07.31.21ZSDMap_Featherbait

https://montana-riverboats.com/?robopage=Flies/Sandy-Pittendrigh/Articles/Fastsinking-Streamers.htm

SH1T ... it's MAY already ???

Nice looking Bugger, flytire.

It still feels like March here in Ontario!

Happy Spring fishing to you all, whenever Spring gets here.

I know this has nothing to do with fly tying, but a while back there was a buzz about the nut used to display a fly looking like an Alien pod. I saw this and had to post it. I GOT TO GET ONE OF THESE! But I'm kind of freaked out about putting it on..LOL I mean, that's prettty messed up man!!!

post-19822-0-83547300-1556833606_thumb.jpg