Fly Tying

Have you ever wanted a strike indicator that has a feather like touch on the water? The answer just might be water bomb balloons. These balloons, available on line or at most part supply stores, are inexpensive, extremely light, and simple to use. Another great quality is you can make them any size you want. All a person has to do is blow up the balloon to the desired size, tie it off like any other balloon, and then attach it to the leader with two haft hitches. To remove it pull or cut off the balloon the haft hitches should just fall out releasing the balloon. The attached picture shows some samples and a bag of 60 balloons that cost less than $2 post-23663-0-51560300-1558108971_thumb.jpg.

Balloons were used years ago on the Bighorn River years ago. The problem with them is that they break and broken balloons were turned into litter. I think they work well as long as you make sure you take out broken balloons out with you.

I think the thingamabobbers were patterned after the balloon indicator.

Interesting. The only time I ever used a balloon as a "strike indicator" was when we used to go shark fishing to allow us to set the baits at different depths in the chum slick. I don't use strike indicators that much. One idea I've been toying with is using a system similar to a slip bobber. I've made up a couple of leaders with the bobber stopper set on the leader. Plan to use worm floats as the "strike indicator" I'm headed up to the Poconos on Monday to do some lake fishing and will give them a try fishing for crappies. Should be easy to set the depth for the fly.

The only problem with your plan, Philly, is that it requires weight to pull the line through the bobber.

I use very small slip bobbers, sometimes, while spin fishing with small jigs. If the jig weight is not enough, it just hangs at the bobber without dropping. I have to add a pinch-on weight or two just to get it down to the stopper.

I had that problem, Mike at the CFR retreat last fall. I plan to use heavier flies this time around and see if that works. If not I'll pull out the split shot.

The best "soft" indicator is no indicator at all. I like to use short 7' leaders and watch the fly line. Yes you will miss some fish on delicate takes but I like the stealth and casting ease you get without the indicator. I will use a thingamabobber when fishing really fast riffles but otherwise I go without.

DFoster, that's something I have wanted to learn how to do. Wouldn't you consider that euro/czech nymphing? Are you always short line or high stick nymphing?

DFoster, that's something I have wanted to learn how to do. Wouldn't you consider that euro/czech nymphing? Are you always short line or high stick nymphing?

Phil I tend to cast 1-2 rod lengths of fly line plus the leader up stream so It's not really traditional high sticking. I call it the English method because I learned it watching Oliver Edwards fishing in England on you tube. See the link below, about half way he discusses upstream wet fly fishing. You will miss some strikes but you also gain some do to the stealth inherent in casting without an indicator. In my case one of my main local trout rivers has a lot of smooth shallow water holding heavily pressured spooky fish so when I became aware of this method it seemed to make sense. I'm told that in England it's illegal to use an indicator so that's why they fish this way. Maybe a British based member can add more information about the technique?