Fly Tying

Yesterday, Dart and I had a conversation about the versatility of the bugger, especially for smaller trout and panfish. He encouraged me to post this simple little pattern. I tied it to slam big gills, but quickly found that it slayed Appalachian trout. It makes a wonderful nymph imitation for mayflies, caddis, damsels, and even baitfish when tied in grey and shades of white. You can add a little flash to the tail or even palmer one or two strands up the body for a great effect. It's simple. It's easy. And it takes ALOT of fish. I never hit the mountain streams without a few of these and my Tellicos!

Looks delicious! You must have known I missed breakfast this morning. :D

I told ya, very simple pattern. Great for the big gills. I love to fish this around vegetation and lily pads. Great pattern to strip across silt/mud flats in the late evenings. I've even popped a few lunker smallies on this little guy. Hope ya like it, Dart!

With a bright orange bead tied in black, you have a baby egg sucking leech too. Ahh, the possibilities!

Ya know, I never thought of that! This is a great pattern when tied in yellow, with a yellow tail, and a red bead. The big gills will smack it in clear water on bright days. One would only be limited to the colors in his feather stash. A buggy dubbing works great in the stead of ostrich. Pick it out and let it get "fuzzy". Killer pattern.

I know that it does! Been tying this little fly for years and it's never left me fishless. It always manages to get one or two to the net or boatside.

Chris, super nice fly! I'll have to try that ostrich herl body!

It's amazing how much we think alike! I tie a very similar fly using chenille for the body, rabbit for the tail, a sparse hackle collar, but I add bead chain eyes, usually black plastic. Tied on a size 8 or 10 hook, the Bluegills eat it up!

I tend to tie them more so in dark colors, but I can see that white should be great too! :D

Simple yet elegant solution. Nice tie and the choice of colour are endless.

I just love beads. :D

Thanks for sharing.

I never thought such a generic little pattern would have generated so many comments! Wow. IT is a great little fly and fun to tie. An experienced tier can whip out a dozen of these in less than half an hour. I tie them in brown with orange tails for stonflies and craws. I took many stocker trout one summer on a stream in East Tennesee fishing it in a 16 during a sulfur hatch. Great little fly.

And ya gotta love a cheap vise. It wears out in three or four years and BAM! $15 bucks gets you another one!