Fly Tying
SpokaneDude

How to use the Scientific Angler's fly line cleaning pad

Noob here... I just bought the Scientific Anglers Fly Line Dressing package, which contains a "pad" which is sort of smooth on one side and foam on the other. Which side do I use to clean my line?

Wow, buying a pad??? Glad i know better, maybe?? I am a mechanic by hobby (sometimes trade) the index finger of my right hand is so calloused that i just strip leader and lines through that by pressing with my thumb. Add dressing by smearing on your fingers before you pull the line through. Man am i ever an old hillbilly fart...

Thank you so much... I went to their website but didn't find the video... told me exactly what I needed to know... too bad the lame instructions that come with the package don't give more detail. Thanks again...

When you've used up the supplied cleaner, just use silicon lubricant on a lint free cloth and it'll keep your line floating well.

Thank you so much... I went to their website but didn't find the video... told me exactly what I needed to know... too bad the lame instructions that come with the package don't give more detail. Thanks again...

They don't give any instructions on using the pad with the kit. It always left me wondering should the pad be dry or wet when used. I used it dry (rough side) on a Cortland Lazer line once then used the stuff in the bottle and the line wouldn't should worth anything after that. Now I use the pad wet with a bucket of soapy water and that seems to be fine on my current lines. Actually a generic microfiber cloth works just as well maybe even better than the pad.

Hi Brian... yes, I used it dry, and had the same results that you had... the line sank faster and deeper than before, which really irritated me. So, now I'll use it for the rest of the season and then get Rio line in the spring. I'm going to write to SA and tell them what happened.

Thanks for responding.

SD

I just cleaned my sa line with some Windex and a lint free cloth after it got some really nasty plant sap on it worked fine. Most of the time I just use a damp rag and I spray it with that reel magic every so often which helps it shoot a lot better.

Seriously, I am VERY old school. Does the WD40 wipe down work on newer lines?

I have a WF5 floating line that i think was made in the 1950s that i still use that on.

I haven't had enough guts to try on my lazer lines. I just grab a wet cloth and rub them clean...But???

I've never used line dressing.What is the benefit?

Just like the turkey at Thanksgiving ... dressing makes it taste better.

Puts a coating on the line to better keep surface scum from sticking. Floating lines float better, sinking lines ... I don't know, since I never use sinking lines.

Just like the turkey at Thanksgiving ... dressing makes it taste better.

Puts a coating on the line to better keep surface scum from sticking. Floating lines float better, sinking lines ... I don't know, since I never use sinking lines.

Thanks,Mike!Learned something new today!