Fly Tying
FlyTyer15

Different dry flies

Im looking to tie different dry flies and dont know where to start. Can you guys list some names and patterns for me to look up. All is appreciated.

Thanks

What do you mean by "different"? Without a starting point it is very difficult to know what is different. The dry flies I use on rivers are very different to dry flies for the lochs and still waters.

Some of the most way out dry flies are those of Marc Petitjean, which use CdC for support rather than hackle. Likewise the reverse parachutes of Roy Christie. If you use these though, there is no difference.

Cheers,

C.

wulff style

parachute style

traditional/catskill style

comparadun style

thorax style

paraloop style

water walker style

GOOGLE the above styles and choose whatever you want to tie

Whatfly can you help. I typed your suggestion google fly in Bing.com and got nothing. Is it a trout fly or what?

Whatfly can you help. I typed your suggestion google fly in Bing.com and got nothing. Is it a trout fly or what?

85a5820dd7a0c9658ad2d010.L.jpg

Find Randall Kaufmann's Tying Dry Flies and you'll have a good start of the basics. There is this thing called google too you know...

Hey, Flytire he was talking about the " there is this thing called google too" part.

Find Randall Kaufmann's Tying Dry Flies and you'll have a good start of the basics. There is this thing called google too you know...

I tried using that thing called Google and its like tyring to find a needle in the universe. and ill have to find that book.

Finding a starting point is the hardest thing. There are several options open to you and everyone could offer you their opinion on where it should be. My opinion is just find a place that suits you and jump in. You need a lot of information before you even know what questions to ask at this point and that is the problem you need to solve. You will find out what those questions are as you go along. Keep these things in mind:

* Google is your friend!

* You Tube is an even better friend! You can get visual help on tying any fly you want there. Spend time (hours and hours) viewing as many videos as you can. Learn proceedures and techniques for tying any fly.

Tightline videos is a good place to start and so is Davie McPhail's videos.

* Get some local help on patterns you should focus on from a local flyshop or outfitter.

Good luck!