Fly Tying
KOKOEK9

marabou Mickey Finn

Hi, I just tied a marabou Mickey Finn but I can't gett the bushy look I see in other marabou flies. I like the slender look and I know it will catch fish but some times I like the bushy look.

post-49017-0-51161800-1410935550_thumb.jpg

Adding more puffs of marabou to the fly is one way to make them more bushy.

I've put ten and more puffs on the back of some of my poppers. With that many

It is easier to work with when wet and 8/0 or perhaps smaller thread to avoid

buildup.

I know the fly looks good wet but I like to be able ti tie a good looking fly and marabou is hard to handle

Wetting the marabou makes it easier to handle and tie on

A couple of things I have found to make maribou look fluffier: the very tips of the feather often seem to have very straight long fibers, so I tear off the last inch or so of the feather. Dont cut it with scissors because it ends up looking too straight, but if you pull the feather back, and grab it tightly at the point you want to tear it, you can pull off the straight stuff, and leave the fluffy part. Also, I really like the result of wrapping the maribou feather the way you would tie in hackle. The result, if wrapped neatly, is a very fluffy body that looks great in the water.

WarrenG, palmering marabou makes a very full body and I use it to tie articulated flies like the Hog Snare or some of the others. Layering marabou on the hook as you work from back to front also makes a thicker fly. Do one like that before but can't remember name. Just use head of last bunch to fluff up next bunch.

I really like your streamer and have been a fan of Mickey Finn ever since I realized how much brookies like it.

Other than adding more layers of marabou (i.e. additional feathers), one thing to consider is the type of marabou you're using. If you look for marabou "blood quills" when you buy, those are the highest quality, fullest and fluffiest of marabou feathers.

That being said, I think you fly looks really good as is. I think it will look great in the water and definitely will catch fish. And THAT being said--I also get the part about wanting your flies to look a certain way, even if a less aesthetically pleasing version will fish just as well. After all, this isn't just a craft, it's also an art. :)

Sometimes, more, is not better. The more densely tied streamer, the slower the sink rate. I have noticed most pro tyer's have been really packing it on so they must "fish" ok. Your fly is nicely tied, and the tip Stippled provided is spot on, wet the Marabou first (to compress it) it will tie better and provide a smaller head. Again, good job on this fly

thanks, any hints on how to get my marabou in line with the hook shank. like most feather marabou is slightly curved so it doesn't lay straight on the hook it curves to one side or the other. I have used marabou that wasn't like that but I can't get this to lay even. here are pictures of some black marabou, but my red and yellow are the same.

post-49017-0-31414600-1411096926_thumb.jpg

post-49017-0-00218400-1411096934_thumb.jpg