Fly Tying
Old Hat

A Dark Spider

Maybe reminiscent of a Bibio? Quite productive for me as of late. Uses dyed squirrel dubbing and dyed partridge hackle

Black%2520Spider.jpg

Its been a while since we have seen a fly from you. Welcome back, and a nice classically styled pattern it is. I see you have been busy with a web site. Nice work on that too.

I like this pattern. I am intrigued by the dubbing on the body. Also, enjoyed looking around on your blog again.

Had a quick look at your site. I like the idea of teaching principles and not pattern by pattern. Lamplighter in the winged salmon flies is a good looking pattern. Is it still a lamp lighter with alternative wing colours or do you have names for those variations? I would be looking at red, green or purple wings for local waters.

The Lamplighter is a localized pattern. I haven't ever seen any variations other than proportional on a variety of hooks. I've never tried other color wings. I would probably just consider it a variation. It is not a particularly specialized pattern, it's pretty general in design. I would say the color has a lot to do with the fly name.