Fly Tying
Pusher

Lil Missouri River Arkansas flies,tips or tricks?

Ive fished this little tail water a couple of times and done well. Copper Johns and Zebra midges have produced many catches. Since Im from Texas I have to relearn the subtleties of trout fishing from that of bream and redfish on the Gulf coast. Any fly options during the winter or tips yall may offer would be appreciated.

Arkansas is one of those States I can say I've been to, only because we stopped at a few scenic spots while driving through. But whenever I am going to someplace new, I go to

https://www.takemefishing.org/

It has most of the pertinent information for fishing just about anywhere within the U.S.A.

Ive spent a ton of time working in Arkansas all over the state But while there I mostly chased Bass,Crappie Stripers and bream I did very little trout fishing.

I think a good bet would be to search fly tying clubs in the area you are going to,they probably have a website with popular local patterns if they dont contact them on the phone or through email and see if they can offer you a little guidance Im sure theyll be more than willing to help you out.

Ive traveled all over the United States working in my life and Arkansas is one of the most beautiful states Ive ever seen in my life. The grass looks like its been spray painted green and the ponds and lakes are turquoise blue. Lots of the state is just stunningly breathtaking.

Id move there in a heartbeat if I could figure out how to make a living there.

Clear across the state almost from the Ar waters that I fish, but on this site are links to a message board and SWEPCO generation schedule among other things.

Flies that work in north Ar. & south Mo. in winter include

Dry: Blue wing olives, parachute Adams, blue quills, Griffiths gnats, cream elk hair caddis, humpies
Nymphs: hares ears, pt’s, cased caddis, burlap nymphs, chamois nymphs, scuds, sow bugs
Midges: discos, krystals, zebra midges, WD 40’s, brassies
And: Crackle backs wet or dry and woolie buggers, soft hackles

I don't think I vary my methods much between sunfish and rainbows, drag free drift or strip I don't leave a dry on the water very long for trout and I seem to catch more with some retrieve on any subsurface types.