Fly Tying
vicente

Getting back into an old hobby

I used to blacksmith and bladesmith when I was in high school, it's something I sideways enjoyed and have gotten motivated to get back into it. The first blade is finished I will be putting micarta scales on it. It's basically all stock removal the steel came from an old USA Nicholson file. Its going to my brother for a woods knife so I didn't spend much time making it pretty also my fittest blade in over a decade. The second is going to be mine its from a small USA Nicholson file, the shape was inspired by the green river pacific paring knives as that was always my favorite edc knife. Basic shape and Bevis were done with the forge then ground still needs heat treat and holes drilled for pins. The third is from a good sized punch nor sure I the steel type so heat treat would be a crap shoot. Obviously since it was a hexagon that's shaped bar most the work is done in the forge. I still need to do a lot of work before it will be ready needs to be straightened better and have more week done to the bevels.

post-58401-0-16981100-1497324269_thumb.jpg

Nice work! They all look good.

I slapped together real quick and dirty a Green River patch knife a couple years ago. Basically the same blade style as your middle knife. Great design for kitchen, camping, and just general use. I really like it and need to put it to work again.

That woods knife looks like it'll do the job.

What's your forge set-up? Gas or coal?

It's gas I wanted to do coal but since I have a toddler the fire up time is important, still haven't finished building the forge yet just just did these three stacked firebricks and a forge burner.

Sure we used the same blade for our patch knives, I liked mine so much I just ended up carrying it all the time.

I like those ... simple and rustic, all a knife needs to be.

If I just had the room. I am so looking forward to doing some knife work when I get things organized. One of the many "round tuits" I have on the agenda.

I've got a forge set up at my high school. I spent this year building it and an anvil stand and acquiring tools. I cannot wait for the next school year to put it to use.

Nice. An old dear friend of mine, passed, would make knives from time to time. The most interesting was an Eskimo knife made from a disc of an old set of harrows. Deer antler for the handle/grip.

Thanks Mike, I'm pretty happy with them for being very out of practice the first one I was basically just playing around with a new too me 6x48 I picked up.

Fisherboy you should try to get a forge set up at your place if you can do coal it's easy to get one built for maybe 25 bucks and 30$will keep you in coal for a long time. Any good sized piece of metal will make an acceptable anvil.

Kudu I have yet to try one never really been sure I'd use it they are cool though.

Very cool! My daughter and I have been getting into the show Forged in Fire on the History Channel lately. She wants to convert her old playhouse into a forge/shop.

Nice Kinny I hope muy kids want to do stuff like this as they get older, not sure how big the space is but I'd put the forging stuff outside and all the other tools in the shop.

Those knives look great. Forging/ knife making has always been something I've wanted to tinker around with, but living in a studio apartment can make that difficult.

Hey Fisherboy, what do you do with a knife after you forge one in your school? If you try to carry it out of the school you'll get arrested the way things are today. The days of taking knives to school to play mumbly peg during recess are long gone from another era. Hate to have someone see you carrying a blade in school and it gets locked down.