Fly Tying
Hellgrammite

Patterns for western PA

Well, the title kinda says it. I live in extreme NE Ohio, and aside from fishing for steelhead in Conneaut Creek, there isnt much action to be had here for trout. Luckily, in 15 minutes, i can be in Pennsylvania, and in an hour drive or so i can be to some decent streams. But i have no idea what patterns to use? I have been tying for a while, but am totally new to actually fly fishing (odd how some people do that...)

Anyone from western PA that can shed some light, or anyone familiar with fishing there? I guess that hares ears, BWOs, buggers, and Adams are standard fare?

Thanks!

I grew up in Warren county. Oh, I know it makes a whole bunch of people mad, but the best trout fly in the freestone streams of the area has always been a #8 black and grizzly wooly worm. Proved it again this June when I was home on leave for a week. Put a brass bead on some, and a tungsten bead on some, and leave some unweighted. Tie up some big #6's, and tie some itty-bitty #12's, and you'll catch a lot of fish.

my brother, who still lives there, swears by #14 and #16 generic bead-head nymphs- really just a tiny brass bead head and a little bit of sparkle dubbing for a body. He fishes them in basically a light tan, a medium olive, or a darker brown.

You can get as sophisticated as you want though.

i live in the southwest part of pa and if i had to pick one fly to fish all of pa with that fly would have to be the green weenie with a hares ear, ehc, and parachute ant pattern following after that

Well, the title kinda says it. I live in extreme NE Ohio, and aside from fishing for steelhead in Conneaut Creek, there isnt much action to be had here for trout. Luckily, in 15 minutes, i can be in Pennsylvania, and in an hour drive or so i can be to some decent streams. But i have no idea what patterns to use? I have been tying for a while, but am totally new to actually fly fishing (odd how some people do that...)

Anyone from western PA that can shed some light, or anyone familiar with fishing there? I guess that hares ears, BWOs, buggers, and Adams are standard fare?

Thanks!

Hi there. Here's the link to a recent piece of mine that describes patterns and strategies for a great Western PA stream:

http://www.paoutdoornews.com/articles/2007...es/hunting1.txt

Feel free to PM me for more!

fly pattern artwork for your viewing pleasure at: http://www.ronpswegman.com/sketches.html

Take a selection of Hare's ears and Pheasant Tail nymphs in different sizes and with and without bead heads. If you cannot catch a trout on them, go do something else.

just fish where SlateDrake is fishing in his avatar.

A couple turns of brown chenille on a hook is a good imitation of a hatchery pellet.

You've gotten some great advice so far. I'd add the Olive Wooly Bugger in 10 to 8, a size 16 dry Adams, either a Prince Nymph or Zug Bug (people argue over which is better) in 16 to 10, and a honkin' big Madam X. I am always surprised at how well fish respond to that big bug.

Buggers in white/brown/black/olive are a must. Add some flash to it and you'll be set. BH Hare's ear, BH Pheasant Tail, Deer Hair or Elk Hair Caddis tan/brown/olive, Emerging Caddis tan/brown/olive, Caddis pupa cream/olive are all flies I've had good luck with. Orange scuds, and in the summer you'd want to be sure to have hoppers and beetles tied. I also always have a few stimulators and humpys in my box too.

Right now, there is a healthy white fly hatch on Neshannock and Slippery Rock Creek.

PM me if you need more info :D