Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Back on the river today

WG29hB.jpg
wlS6cb.jpg

Spent 4 hours searching for steelhead today. The only thing that came out to play was the ever elusive great Northern Ghetto Trout! ;) Can't complain though, fish or not there's no better way to spend a 70 degree spring day than on the river fly rod in hand.

Ha ha ... Ghetto Trout !!!
As you stated ... doesn't matter what hits, nothing better than a day on the water.

I'll have the wiring harness done before next weekend, should be able to take the boat to the water next Weekend. Been more'n a month, now.

Seems like you need to find another section of river Steve, unless you just like catching those things.

The section of the Clinton river I fish is actually the better section for steelhead in that river, the thing is it doesn't get a large run of them like our rivers up North. It's one of those rivers where you have to just put your time in and maybe 1 out of 6 trips you'll locate a pod of steelies. For an urban river only 20 minutes from home though it does at least give you a reasonable shot at a steelhead without having to drive 170 miles North at least. With that said there's no avoiding suckers when you're a steelhead angler. They spawn at the same time as steelhead and they are really prolific in numbers.

The section of the Clinton river I fish is actually the better section for steelhead in that river, the thing is it doesn't get a large run of them like our rivers up North. It's one of those rivers where you have to just put your time in and maybe 1 out of 6 trips you'll locate a pod of steelies. For an urban river only 20 minutes from home though it does at least give you a reasonable shot at a steelhead without having to drive 170 miles North at least. With that said there's no avoiding suckers when you're a steelhead angler. They spawn at the same time as steelhead and they are really prolific in numbers.

Ya they spawn in April or so here too, come up a run and actually into a big pond along a beach where every other species seems to spawn ( over and around springs). Herring come in there about now too. There are big browns and bass in there that feed well. This spring has been lousy weather for any of that kind of fishing though, you need a quiet cove this year.It's been either snow, wind, rain, blowing or all of those at once. Kind of nice today (60f) though sw wind at 14mph. Supposed to blow 20-25mph this afternoon.

Been the same here this year too. Cold snowy and windy, havent really had a spring till just this past week. FINALLy getting into some nice 60+ degree weather. Better late than never I guess.

Been the same here this year too. Cold snowy and windy, havent really had a spring till just this past week. FINALLy getting into some nice 60+ degree weather. Better late than never I guess.

I haven't even seen any Chironamid midges yet this year, they gotta pop out any day now though. Once they come out I'm good to go.

I've never seen a sucker with such a big broad defined stripe like that and I happen to enjoy the great sucker runs every spring. We don't have steelhead, salmon and the like so I eagerly anticipate the shad, striper and sucker run every spring. Maybe not so much the sucker run but you can't avoid them so I have fun with them.

Greg you should see some of the ones we catch from the Au Sable. I'm headed there in a few days so if I get one I'll snap a pic for ya. I cant remember what species it is but it has a bright red stripe down its side which is really weird yet kind'a neat looking too.

The suckers spawning in Maine display a lot of red in the side, almost blood red. The ones we have here on the cape get bigger though but are kind of tan looking by comparison ( in the water)... I've caught the ones in Maine but never these here on the cape, they just don't seem interested in much of anything fly fishing. I've never tried too hard either though.. There are big bass and browns here that will take herring patterned streamers or good sized yellow perch streamers, I don't think these suckers are interested in streamers. While they are big they may not be much on meat eating but more on rock cleaning LOL.

The ones here seem to be quite partial to chartreuse glo bugs/egg flies. When fishing nymphs or other color egg patterns you'll usually foul hook the suckers, but almost every time I tie on a chartreuse egg pattern and catch a sucker it's almost always right in the mouth/lip, dunno why they seem to like that color but they are a sucker for it happy.pngbiggrin.png