Fly Tying
Rocco

How not to: Fly tying videos

My candidate for the best example of a poor video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X98pHXBlg6w&t=187s

Lack of prior prep, disorganized rambling presentation, repetitive, key missing info on materials,.....and way too long.

Rocco

I agree.... there was lack of prior preparation and also too long.....

47 minutes for a 10 minute fly (give or take) even with material prep. Yeah, that's a bit too long.

The only long videos I usually end up watching are Kelly Galloup. His videos are full of tips as well as info pertinent to the fly he's tying.

Yup, youtube.com is full of bad videos. Hardly news. What I always find odd is how often this thread theme surfaces considering that the folks posting the videos are putting in their time and effort at no direct cost to the viewer (for the most part), and yet some must complain about the job they do. Heck, we had a thread not too long ago with complaints about the tier's manicures for pity's sake. I find the ingratitude disheartening. Seems to me that if you do not like the video, then do not watch it. The number of channels I subscribe to is very small compared with the number of tying videos out there, but I am grateful to all the tiers sharing their techniques for nothing more than their love of the art. Now those odious monetized channels that constantly spam the forums with their mediocre rehashes of mundane aspects of the sport, those producers I have a problem with, but that's another thread.

whatfly, I agree. They're all produced to help others.

Yup, youtube.com is full of bad videos. Hardly news. What I always find odd is how often this thread theme surfaces considering that the folks posting the videos are putting in their time and effort at no direct cost to the viewer (for the most part), and yet some must complain about the job they do. Heck, we had a thread not too long ago with complaints about the tier's manicures for pity's sake. I find the ingratitude disheartening. Seems to me that if you do not like the video, then do not watch it. The number of channels I subscribe to is very small compared with the number of tying videos out there, but I am grateful to all the tiers sharing their techniques for nothing more than their love of the art. Now those odious monetized channels that constantly spam the forums with their mediocre rehashes of mundane aspects of the sport, those producers I have a problem with, but that's another thread.

Amen!

Kimo

Acceptance of mediocrity is why mediocrity is accepted as the norm, these days.

As an instructor, I encourage my students to point out any mistakes I make. I encourage them to question my reasons for the procedures I teach. If they DO that, then I know they're actively involved because I am not perfect.

I get very annoyed when I see another teacher being lazy or failing to engage his/her students to the fullest.

So, complaining about the above video is NOT "ingratitude". Complaining about the lack of personal hygiene is not just "bellyaching". It's a response, based on paying attention. Or rather, WANTING to pay attention but unable to because of the poor quality of the presentation.

Don't make a video, or try to teach in any other way, if you're not willing to:

1) Strive for perfection. Every little mistake distracts from the lesson. Like a person who utters, "um," three times in every sentence. Students start to listen for that ... grunt ... rather than paying attention to the information.

2) Perfect the presentation before you give it. Imperfect instruction creates imperfect results.

3) Set the example! Seek perfection in your own efforts so others will try to seek perfection in theirs.

Wow, Mike! you nailed it! I for one don't understand those who say you can't criticize something that's put out to be watched simply because of the effort put forth. To say it's put out for the love of tying is pure unadulterated BS. Everybody, evrerrrrrrrrrrybody on YouTube is doing it to try to make money or a name for themselves or both, pure and simple. Knowing that, it's incumbent on them to produce something viewable or accept the critiques and strive for perfection. If youtubers don't want honest critique to better their product then they should stick to showing their products to their mothers. Personally, the video posted is not one I would watch because of its length so it is true that we have the choice not watch it. But, we also have the choice to watch it and criticize it as well. its actually disheartening listening to those who want to coddle or be coddled through life. I shudder to think where I would be in life if, no matter how bad I jacked something up, I was told it's the effort that counts or worse, if they didn't say anything at all as I was falling out of the sky in a big ball of flames.

I do agree with the comment on the guys who are actively hawking their videos thru shameless begging. I know on this site their are video producers who produce videos and then just add a link saying, "check out my new video and please subscribe." These guys are here merely to promote themselves and to get higher view counts not to help others. I for one never click on these links. Then there are guys who produce videos and are generally super helpful and informative on this site. I will click on their videos because I want them to have high counts.

Rocco, it doesn't look like you've posted your comments on Youtube. Why not?

Jaydub,

I never thought of it. To me, Youtube is mostly a one-way experience with me at the passive end. I don't even read the comments.....

The guy actually has some good ideas in other threads and there are even a few buried in this one. But the investment in time and frustration diminishes their value.

Rocco

Everyone has a different reason to post a video. Some of the posters are less skilled than others. Some are trying to find a way to stay home and make a living, some are trying to share a passion. Some are too inexperienced to be posting, IMHO. To Mike's point, some don't pay attention to detail. This is the wild west of video production. Too soon the big companies will figure a way to squeeze out the rest, who will likely go to another platform.

Trust me, I know that guy who did the video. If you post a comment that is anything but praise, he'll delete it ASAP. It's been his modus operandi since I have known him.

Trust me, I know that guy who did the video. If you post a comment that is anything but praise, he'll delete it ASAP. It's been his modus operandi since I have known him.

That may be, but he will read it. If the point is constructive criticism, it should go to the source.

That may be, but he will read it. If the point is constructive criticism, it should go to the source.

Offering constructive advice on some of his flies got me banned from a site he runs online. The same has happened to a lot of people I know. Good luck.